View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Negative Thoughts 
All-star
All-star

After reading "Bitter Lessons" and "The Daily Grind," I was left with mostly negative thoughts. Although Gatto put forth several good points concerning school systems today, I would be really interested to see what would happen if we reinvented the teacher like he suggested because it's possible that it wouldn't solve the problems that are present today. I felt like Gatto and Jackson sat around and thought of all the negative they could. Where's the positive? I would like to be encouraged to be a teacher, not told all the horrible things that I can find in schools today. I want to be able to walk into a classroom with at least a little hope that I can make a difference in my students' lives despite the good or bad circumstances in which I will be teaching.

Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:32 pm
All-star
All-star

I so whole-heartedly agree with you!!!! I'm sick and tired of hearing the negative - absolutely fed up with it. I mean, I have honest adults tell me to tuck tail and run. Where do these people expect the education of their offspring to come from if they continue to bash educators!?!? Granted, I do get some positive feedback from some, but for the most part, when I say I'm gonna be a high school English teacher, most gasp and then manage a tight smile. I just want to roll my eyes and tell that person to get over himself and/or herself. I've actually stumbled across other education discussion forums out there on the Internet and curiously, I just read some of the comments from seasoned teachers. And it's all horrible. So I tried to provide a breath of fresh air - to see if I could bring a bit of hope for a new generation that might have a bit of a dream. Instead, when I checked for replies, I had everything from "You're naive," to "You're just plain ignorant if you think it's gonna be that way!" I was outraged. But nothing I can say can change the minds of those who are already set in thinking so negatively about the education process. It'll be what I do that matters - actions always speak louder than words. So I just have to cross my fingers and say a little prayer that until I'm actually face to face with a classroom of students, I won't lose the hope and the dream.

Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:54 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you too. It is overwhelming, all the negativity, and can be very discouraging. I came very close to quiting teaching my first year because of all the negativity IN THE SCHOOL by the teachers. So and so did this and so and so did that. But let me assure you, if you can keep a positive attitude, it will reflect in your teaching and you will be rewarded by your students progress. Also, you will be an excellent model for those discouraged teachers who are always complaining.

Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:35 am
All-star
All-star

I think what we do with all the negative information is what's important. If we keep a positive attitude, it will show in our teaching. I believe we need to know the negative or problems in the classroom so we can make changes and try to better the situation. I do think the text should give suggestions or examples of solutions and I believe this is part of the purpose of this discussion forum (to discuss ways to make up better teachers).

Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:40 am
All-star
All-star

I agree about all of the negative thoughts that we hear out there about teaching. So many people have asked me, "Are you sure you want to be a Teacher?" Well, you know it's like this if I didn't want to be a Teacher I wouldn't be going through this right now. There are Teachers out there with such negative attitudes. Well, I say if they hate it that bad then get out because they're surely not helping the children. Plus, there is someone out there that wants to make a difference that would be glad to take there job!

Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]