View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Bitter Lessons 
All-star
All-star

This article is one that seems all to true to me. I am going to be a second-generation teacher and these comments sound just like the things that I have heard from my father and his co-workers for almost my entire life. These comments have become even more vocal in recent years with the increased pressures of testing. Being a history major, I understand Gatto’s comments about our educational system being founded on the Prussian system and the impact of people like Carnegie and Rockefeller. Through my study of history, I have analyzed these and can see their direct influences on the system. All of this is rather upsetting to me, but I am trying my best not to let it get me down. All I have ever known and been around is teaching. I have a passion right now for the field because I have grown up witnessing the impact that my father has had on so many of his students. That is where I gain my courage to enter this field and it is the source of my strength to not get bogged down by the negative comments that are coming from so many educators. I know that there will be rules that I will have to follow, and that I may not always be able to teach what I like when I like, but I hope that my passion to make a difference will be strong enough to help me see past the negative. And really, there are negatives to every job! Rules are a fundamental to our society. So I am just going to have to just learn to deal with the ones that I can’t break and learn how to bend the others so that I can have a little fun and make a difference where I can.

Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:08 am
All-star
All-star

This article seems to be all to common in its negative comments from teachers.With the increase pressure from EOG and the No Child Left Behind Act it seems as if life is only going to get harder for a teacher. In order to go into teaching today you must have a true passion for it, if not then I believe you are heading for trouble. If you have a negative attitude in the classroom it will flow down to the children and then they will have a negative one too. An important key to the whole thing is to keep your eye on the reason you are there to begin with and that is to make a difference. One thing in this article that I stongly agree with is that parents are the greatest teachers. They should be treated as an allied not an enemy. Maybe the American system of teacher trining should revaluate
were they got their inspiration.

Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]