View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Questioning 
All-star
All-star

I tend to think globally about things. That's why when I did research on teacher burnout last semester, I had an enlightening moment. The research said that the issue of burnout is a systemic problem. It is more than just a "teacher" problem, it is a workplace problem. There are three facotrs that contribute to the burn out issue: 1) the teacher, 2)the administrative style fo the principal, 3) the larger organization. All of this confirmed by own burnout experience. I realized that administratively my program was set up to fail, to lose teachers, and ultimately, not serve our families and children. It was not just me.

After all, how much can I accomodate to a sick, dysfunctional system?

My question now is what about colleges of education? What kind of job are they doing to help face the problems we are reading about? Are they thinking in old ways about school and learning? Aren't we going to be the reformers, the ones who are activists for change? How long can we see what we see, and remained so unempowered?

Our class postings reveal a lot of conflict and hidden torment about our readings and our experience.

Are we teachers to be an unempowered lot? Are we going into an unempowered profession?

I am 52. I have 2 children, ages 10 and 19. I continue, as Gatto says, to want to make connections and meaning in my work and life. I may be out of teaching for the moment, but I am going to continue with the questions, because I want to work toward solutions and our children desparately need them.

Thank you. Rebekah

Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]