View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 What Johnny can't disobey 
All-star
All-star

When I began to read the article I found the examples of Hitler, and the mass sucides to be extreme examples to prove the author's point. But as I read on about Milgrims experiments it really shocked me to see how many people obeyed him to the point of "killing" the person. I remember seeing this video of the experiment in psychology class, but I never realized overwhelingness of people to obey his orders. Also, this experiement was done at Yale, not in another country, not in a cult, it was normal people.
This also reminds me of when I was growing up. I was always thinking in school, "Why is it so important that I write my alphabet with a red pencil?" But I was too afraid of the teacher to ask "why". I was scared of my teacher!!!I think, as rising teachers we need to make sure that the students understand that their concerns, even if they are not popular ones, are valued and taken into consideration.

Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:42 pm
All-star
All-star

I was also very shocked at the number of people who obeyed when instructed to shock the person. I always thought I was more independent in my thinking then to go along with the crowd but how many of our students do succome to peer pressure. It is very important that we teach students to become independent thinkers and that it is okay to disagree and go against people of power and authority or even their friends.

Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:07 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that we should make students more independent. When i read this article i wondered, why do i always go with the system. I feel that whenever you don't agree with something, you should if not challenge, at least question the system. Sometimes it seems that children are programed in school to be little robots who do only what they are instructed to do. Is this how we want them to grow up and spend their lives? We should teach our children to not be sheep in the hurd and challenge things that they feel strongly about.

Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:35 am
All-star
All-star

I was very suprised at the number of people that could not distinguish between right and wrong. It is almost like we have a society of zombies.
The mindless obedience to inflict pain on your fellow human being without just cause is very scary to me. It is almost as if there is no value of human life. As teachers we should encourage independent thinkers and let them know that it is okay to ask questions. Not comforming can be a good thing.

Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]