View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 How could they not see? 
All-star
All-star

Walking back to the dorm i couldnt help but think about the video we had just watched. The thing that I dont understand is if the pilot in the air could see that these people were unarmed, why didnt the men on the ground who were face to face with them? I think that sarah was partly right when she said it was an issue of power. Also, I can understand that the situation must have been more intense than anything i could ever imagine, but I dont buy the one mans explanation that he just snapped. I think that anyone, no matter what the military training, would have felt some remorse and hestitacy in killing anyone after they see that they have shot and killed a mother and her baby. That is what i think human instinct would be, not to flip out and kill other innocent people. I cant pretend to understand what those men were thinking. However I do have many many friends that are in the military that have been in combat situations. All of them say the same thing, "you know what you are trained to do, but when you see the person whos life you are about to take in front of you, you try to make up an excuse to just let them go". I respect everyone who has, is or ever will serve in our armed forces because they are willing to risk their own life to protect others. But using the excuse it was my orders, i cant see that as a valid reason. We arent suppose to judge, so I guess its up to God to decide if "it was my orders" is a good enough reason for taking an innocent persons life.

Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:54 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I agree with you on the subject of why couldn't the soldiers realize they were killing innocent women and children. However, I tend to disagree with the issue over following orders. I am no expert, but I believe part of military training is drilling soldiers in following orders. In a combat situation if half of your soldiers choke, they are putting the lives of everybody else in their company at risk. I also think there is an aspect of military training in which you are allowed to disobey an order only if you feel it is immoral. In the situation of Mai Lai I feeling the soldiers went in believing who was there to be Viet Cong. I do believe after the initial invasion some soldiers realized what was really happening, but others were so wrapped up in following orders they failed to see it. I place blame of the massacre on those in command and those who were gathing intelligence on the people in Mai Lai. I don't think you can lay blame on all of the soldiers who actually committed the horriable acts. I think the few who scalped, raped, etc do need to be held accountable for their actions, because this is uncivilized warfare. I hope what I have tried to say makes sense.

Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]