View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Hidden Curriculum connection 
All-star
All-star

"It becomes obvious that the institution of government education itself did much to lead us away from the values of independence and self-reliance that governed America in its early days. And the only way to recapture these values is to get the government out of the education business."

I agree that education has become too political. In my county, politics rules the schools and badly in my opinion. We are losing site of helping students. I think this is why there is such a large difference in teaching styles between difference social class school as in Anyon's article. The more influental parents have political power to get the best school and/or teachers. They push for curriculum that will help their children succeed and think for themselves. Lower class parents are struggling to get by and don't get as involves in the school (sometimes) and they do not have political power to change anything. If all parents ban together and had the knowledge of what is best for their children, think of what they could do. A very small group was able to get prayer out of the schools. A well organized group can make great changes (some for the better and some for the worst)

Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:53 pm
All-star
All-star

Sherry, I agree with you. If we could keep government out of education I think things would be so much better. The school system is becoming more & more political. You were talking about how the more influential parents are able to choose the best schools/teachers for their students. That is so true! It irritates me so bad to hear parents talking during the summer about whom their child's teacher is weeks before the class list are posted. It's not fair or right for a few to have the power to choose. You know, it goes even further than academics. The politics are there in school sports. It's not fair that kids get on a team because of whom their parents are & not their athletic ability. Especially when they are lower classed students that have the athletic ability & they get cut from the team because they don't know the "right people". Don't you think something is wrong there?

In my opinion, the small group that took prayer out of school made a big mistake. I feel that our schools would be so much better if we still had prayer. I think the prayer would conquer the politics that goes on in our schools because even the students are starting to get political. Some see it at home so they bring into the school with them causing conflicts among their peers.

Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:06 pm
All-star
All-star

yes, the government is the problem in our schools, but we insist on asking for assistance and in asking for assistance, we have to obey by the rules...Take the good with the bad...
Once again, I love Gattos way of putting things. Again, hitting the nail on the head. Gatto's arguments can also be put into perspective of Anyon's work. Yet another variable in the schools that Anyon does not address: "...the lessons of school prevent children keeping important appointments with themselves and with their families to learn lessons in self-motivation, perseverance, self-reliance, courage, dignity, and love....School is a 12-year jail sentence where bad habits are the only curriculum truly learned."

It is sad that politics can cause us to loose some of the most valuable teachers.

Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:36 am
All-star
All-star

I also agree that the government is too involved in public schools. I do feel however, that it might take a very long time for the government to get their rules, regulations, and tests out of the schools. Instead of trying this seemingly impossible task of running the government out of schools, why can't the government give better/less rules, regulations, or tests? I feel like if the government had better advisors, people more closely involved in public schooling, that things would greatly improve. Instead of asking the opinion of people who are remotely involved, why can't the goverment pole teachers, use some of the many articles and research results that we are reading about, and become more involved in the actual act of teaching and the students' actual act of learning? How can they ignore the negative results that are coming out of their increased regulation? I feel that with any institution or organization, things run more effectively and smoothly when the people making the decisions are very much involved and/or aware of the many different aspects and everyday, basic situations that take place. How would the government feel if the teachers and students they make so many decisions about in turn made their rules and regulations? Just as they are not properly educated in public education, we are not educated in politics.
I believe that things involving public education can and will change for the better but perhaps we are asking too much thinking that the the government will totally take its grip out of public education. :?:

Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:56 pm
All-star
All-star

Post yep
im just echoing everyone else. gov't just doesnt seem fair in education for some reason. but like it was mentioned, we ask for their assistance so we have to take it and obey the rules as a result. but think about it... the gov't helps, yeah, sure... but do they help as much as they could? public education budgets are getting cut left and right. so if they're bailing out on education, why shouldn't we feel the need to "accidentally" overlook a rule here or there in order to better reach the students? i mean, what's the harm, right?

Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:58 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with your comment about polling teachers. If government would listen to qualified teachers and use their suggestions maybe education would be better instead of people with no educational back ground making decisions. Educators and government must work together for the best of everyone.

Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]