View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 A different view of Hidden Curriculm 
All-star
All-star

Even though I agree with a lot of things that were said in the article (7 deadly lessons), I see an important role for government to play in public education. The Government makes it possible for everyone , not matter what race, religon, or sex, to attend school. I feel that without government women may not have come so far as they have in the last 50 years. Religoius minorities have the justice of coming to a public school that does not single them out for being Jewish, Muslim, Catholic Etc by having a Christian prayer. Being around different people (such as we are in a public school give us the ablity to understand different people, not to be confined to one specfic group of people.
I feel that Gatto also ignores one important aspect of community and self education. That is many people especially ones from rural southern areas would lose almost all oppurtunity in keeping up with the country. It would be resegregation, a Northern and southern division (again), and would also contribute the ignorance and hatred for people with different beleifs and values. Yes, I am a public school fan! :x
It is up to us as public school teachers to reform the system not destory it.

Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:56 am
All-star
All-star

Interesting view...I tend to agree with you. I do feel the government regulates certain aspects of equality within a school system that may not necessarily be present or guaranteed otherwise. Don't get me wrong...I don't regard government controlled education as a perfect solution, but I can't imagine excluding government entirely either. If government is a representation of the people, would it be any different without them? I don't know...And honestly I don't even think that's an option.

Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:27 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree sarah. The thing that i like most is what you said about its up to us as teachers to reform the system. Your completely right. As teachers i think that we need to make changes. Instead of complaning about whats wrong we should try to make them better.

Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:03 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]