View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Formal Schooling vs. Family 
All-star
All-star

Gatto has really made me think about this one:

"The feeding frenzy of formal schooling has already wounded us seriously in our ability to form families and communities, by bleeding away time we need with our children and our children need with us. That’s why I say we need less school, not more….

Schools stifle family originality by appropriating the critical time needed for any sound idea of family to develop—then they blame the family for its failure to be a family."

My first response is WOW! You are good!

Then I have to read it again...and I can't help but think about the less fortunate students who really need more school and less of the influence from home. Then I go in circles...well, if they did have "less school" would they have less domestic issues to deal with and that be a way to deal with improvement of family failure?

Another reactive thought is the comparison of our educational system to that of other nations viewed as ahead of us; they don't have less school. Hmm...maybe it's the kind of school...

I really can't make up my mind to agree or disagree with this statement, but I do know I like it...Gatto has made me reconsider where the blame should be placed concerning educational failures and reminded me of the significance of education outside of formal schooling...Family really is more significant than it is often regarded. :D

Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Angela I think you made me see a side of the reading that I did not see at first. You are so right! There are a lot of students who do need less school and more family, but like you have pointed out, there are still many students who need less family and more school.
Some students need less influence by their family so they can stay out of trouble. School is the perfect place for them to be! Instead of being around the bad influences they are recieving a good education so one day they can get out of the place that their family is and do something good with their life.
Like you though, I am having a hard time deciding which side I am on. I work at a school were some of my kids need to be at home more, and then there are the ones who I do not ever want to leave school and go back home.
This article as well as your response has really got me thinking which side of the issue I really am on.

Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]