View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Social class in america 

Have you ever based your first opinion of someone on the brand of clothes that they wear?
Poll ended at Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:12 pm
yes 88%  88%  [ 7 ]
no 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

Social class in america 
All-star
All-star

I think that the thing that stood out to me the most in class tonight that wasnt addressed was the fact that in the video the wasp guy said that he went to a function and saw an ugly fat couple and he thought what are they doing here. This indicated that class isnt just based on the income factor but also on a physical factor that many people feel uncomfortable talking about, just like race, class, etc. I think that personal appearance also helps determines how others see us. Its not just the clothes we wear but also also based upon physical attractiveness. I dont think that this is a good way to base people. I know that when i was growing up i refused to wear any designer labels cause I always wanted people to like me based upon me and my personality not what clothing brands i could afford. I have nothing against those of you who do wear designer brands, that is just how i feel about it (i dont want to offend anyone).

Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:12 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

From the video we watched, that was probably the part that disgusted me the most. You're absolutely right. It's not just the money you have but also the way you look. I don't understand why it's that way. Society really is like a permanent high school. It's so depressing to think about.

Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:18 am
All-star
All-star

I agree that in high school, many people were judged on the type of clothes and physical attractiveness. However, when I came to college I felt some freedom from that. I used to get up at least two hours before school started to get ready. Now, if I don't feel like dressing up everyday I don't feel bad because I see a lot of other people dresses in casual cothes. And lets face it...its just too cold and windy!!! :D But I do think some of the judgement dissapears in college. That is my experience.

Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:33 pm
All-star
All-star

When I was in high school and college the Viet Nam war was going on and we began to wear different clothes, different hair, rather than the tradtional stuff.
I thought that when blue jeans came to be popular that would be a leveling factor around social class, but I'm not sure it was.

Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:39 pm
All-star
All-star

I voted on the poll question. I guess that I just wanted to add that it is easy to judge people sometimes especially if you haven't been taught not to do so. Also, even if you have a strong christian upbringing, your thoughts happen very quickly and you may have already judged someone before you realize it.

Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:58 am
All-star
All-star

It is sad when we live is a society that is mostly judged by our physical appearance and the clothes that we have on. All too often this is the gage that determines wheather or not you are popular in high school. Maybe one day people will be judged by inside and not the outside.

Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:53 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Melissa that sometimes we do judge people by their clothing (as a first impression) But I don't feel that I keep this impression for long. I try to judge people by who they are.

It is sad that clothes can be the first thing we look at.

Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:23 pm
All-star
All-star

Its not just the clothes that we wear, but also our physical appearnce. Its sad that in todays society we can still be so shallow, but we still all judge people. If someone isnt physically attractive, do we still take the time to get to know them.

Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:25 pm
Profile YIM

It is very sad that we judge people by the clothes that they wear. And sometimes thats how you get a job in this world, whether you are smart or not. My friend who works at A&F says that when kids come in their store to apply and turn in their application, the employees not the employer circles "A" if they are good looking, "&" if they are average, and "F" if they are ugly. If they are "&" or "F" their application goes to the bottom of the pile before the employer ever looks at the application much less interviews them. I know at the store I work at, if you dont come in looking drop dead gorgeous just to even pick up your application, you dont get the job. You should have to dress up to go pick up your applications. My father who got laid off this past year, had the hardest time getting another job. He had at least 20 years of experience but because of his age, and how old he looked, nobody wanted to hire him. Perfect health, has always been honest on the job, even if it costs him demotion, and they wont hire him because he is too old. Or so they say. Ill admit I judge people based on how they look. Ive done alot better now that I am in college, because I realize most people could care less about the image you put out. Three months ago this woman came into our store, I did help her, and she spent probably $1000 in the store not to mention telling me her husband was a song writer for all these famous 80's songs. But when she walked in, I thought for sure she was just a by passer, looking to kill some time. Anyways I guess Ill always have to work on this as most people will have to do.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."

Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:15 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

right on, jenn for not wearing designer clothes. growing up (mostly throughout middle school) my parents refused to buy me the "cool" clothes because they thought that they were too expensive. so, i always babysat as much as i could to buy these clothes. man, what a waste of money (and time!). what a shame is it to have these deranged thoughts placed on an 11 year old. once i hit high school, though, i realized how ridiculous all this was and started wearing the clothes i liked. lets just say i was NEVER popular in high school. i lost so many friends that year, even those that i had had since i was like 5. it bothered me at first but i soon realized that it was there loss. i now where what i like, whether it be a sweater from abercrombie and fitch or a hippie shirt that i made. and i have definately gotten teased for my style. ive gotten called everything from granola by my sister to pseudo-hippies and yippie from friends to a ragpicker from my own FATHER. and mostly they are all serious (esp. the last one) but hey if you're too blind to see past my good will tshirts and the patched up jeans i've had since the eighth grade, well then, i don't think i want to know you. life is entirely too short to be spent worrying what other people think of you. had i worn blinders all my life i never would have met the killer people that i am friends with today. they're all different and crazy in their own particular way, and that is what makes them awesome.

Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:29 am
All-star
All-star

I get picked on too! Even my family picks on my "eclectic" style of dress, but I'm sorry if I dont want to be boring & look just like everyone else! I like comfort & COLOR! This is what DIVERSITY & INDIVIDUALISM is all about~! WHY should we all look like each other & why can't it be celebrated if we aren't a part of the middle class regime? I plan as a teacher to encourage the differences in my students. If someone has pink hair & piercings YAY FOR THEM! That's great! If another person has grey hair, YAY FOR THEM TOO! One may have chosen to go pink while the other naturally went grey, but they'll both be picked on, simply because they are different! That is whack! I think differences are what make us all human, not mass produced robots doing whatever Viacom says to do. I also, by the way have a HUGE white streak in my hair.

Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:26 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I really like this discussion because kids everywhere face these issues. I always felt like I should have the same clothes as everyone else, simply because that was the safe way to go. If you look like everyone else, you won't get made fun of. bah bah, that way, we're all sheeps. it's a good thing we grow up and realize how ridiculous that all is, but it's such a shame that so many kids feel like that. i definitely, as a teacher, want to encourage diversity. if everybody thought the same way, dressed the same way, and acted the same way, life would be terrible. we learn from our differences, and this is always really important to remember in the classroom.

Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:27 pm
All-star
All-star

I realize that many people judge other people on what they wear, but why has it come to the point of where if i wear nice clothes i get judged as well? Isn't that just as bad as judging someone who doesn't wear nice clothes? I feel that i am a normal down to earth person, but i just happen to love clothes. Some people have hobbies collecting dolls, or coins, or cds, but i prefer to collect nice clothes and shoes. I'm not saying that i'll only wear designer duds, i have plenty of outfits that i've gotten at the thrift stores, hell, i've even got a shirt that i found on the street outside of my friend's house. I think that we shouldn't be so quick to judge those people who DO wear nicer clothes because that would be the same thing as judging those who don't. We should all just give EVERYONE a fair chance to show their personality.

Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]