View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Bill Bigelow 
All-star
All-star

I found question four on the Bil Bigelow Interview of interest because I have never had a history class that I enjoyed. I get what he was saying about text books and lectures. I would love to be able to say that I went away from a history class believing that history could be enjoyable and meaningful. He talked about role-plays, simulations,etc., and I think those are great ideas. I would love to get more ideas on making history more interesting for students.

Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:23 am
All-star
All-star

Melissa, I know what you're saying. I've never been that fond of History Classes either. I always found them boring and hard to keep focused. But, then I think back about our North Carolina History Course with Carl Campbell. I dreaded that class so much because it was History. But, I jumped in & tried to stay focused. All the reading was terrible and hard to follow, but I found that the way he taught the class made it more interesting to me. He told some stories and he just came across interesting to me. Beleive it or not, it ended up being one of my favorite courses. I agree with the fact that "role playing" would be a great way to help teach children history. We need to make learning fun for our students. Skits and role playing is a good way to get children involved and interested about a time in history. Most children would rather be up moving around instead of just sitting and being lectured too. We need to use this teaching strategy in the future with our students and just see how it goes.

Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:30 am
All-star
All-star

I also agree that role playing would be a great way to teach history to children. Being in a history class were the teacher only lectures day after day is BORING. If the class is interactive it is much more enjoyable and meaninful. The kids will learn more if they are involved. :)

Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:03 pm
All-star
All-star

I definitely agree with you all. I took a World Civ. class at ASU and the professor turned it into a "soap opera." It made the class so much more interesting. We also had to write journals once a week that made us connect what we were learning with what was going on in the world at the time and with our lives, making the class so more meaningful. I think with any class you have to do more than lecture. Students should constantly be learning how the information applies to them because if they don't, chances are they won't have any interest in the subject.

Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:05 pm
All-star
All-star

I was also never fond of history classes until my junior year in high school. I had the best teacher who was really into teaching the subject. I think it takes someone who is very dedicated to what they are doing to make it interesting for the rest of the class. I remember our teacher would tell us humorous stories about some of the people in history just to help us remember them on the exams, or just by even sounded excited about the topic of the day got our attention.

Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]