View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Delpit's Silenced Dialogue 
All-star
All-star

I agree with the statement that "the teacher cannot be the only expert in the classroom." I feel that we can learn from our students, students learn from other students, and students learn from the teacher. We all need to bring our thoughts and knowledge to the classroom.

I also disagree with statements such as "Would you like to take your bath now?" unless there is room for negotiation. If a child must take their bath now the parents should make it clear that there is no options. The same applies to the classroom. The teacher must make her wishes clear to the students. Students may really think they can negotiate the issue when in reality the teacher issued a command.

Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:38 pm
All-star
All-star

I thought it was interesting that the issue of the way that students are told to do something affects learning. She said that students from a lower class wants direct teaching, when school teachers typically use what a middle class parent would say. Rather that saying "sit down and read the article and complete the questions" , teachers are saying things such as "would you like to complete the assignment." I don't know exactly what I agree with but i felt that the article generalized about race and class to high degree. She used examples of a random black teacher using direct teaching and compared her to a random white teacher. She also makes a point that white people use past reserch to support their veiws. This is exactly what she is doing through the article, she using her reserch. I agree that something needs to change in the class room for people of all races and class to suceed. However, I do not think that if we keep on adressing the problems as "black" problems, "white" problems, or "poor" problems, that anything will be solved. We are ony seperating ourselves.

Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]