View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 another Bill Bigelow 
All-star
All-star

I really enjoyed both Bill Bigelow's interview and his personal writing. I really liked his writing about one of the projects he had his class do. I am very impressed that he takes so much time to plan meaningful activities for his classroom. I was also very impressed that, already doing more then most history teachers, he goes on to assess his own work, realizing its downfalls, admitting them, and trying to improve on the assignment every time he uses it. I think that in itself is awesome.
Bill Bigelow's interview allowed us as readers to see much more of his teaching style. I especially enjoyed the part where he talked about his experiences team-teaching an english/history class because I took one like that in high school and I really enjoyed it. It seems that the two subjects really do go hand in hand.
I also really liked the statement that he made concerning assigning readings and lecturing. He makes it clear that although he talks about role-plays and other activities, he realizes still that reading and lecturing are still important parts of the classroom- putting emphasis on the fact that they are important AS LONG AS THEY ARE GROUNDED IN CLASSROOM EXPERIENCES. I think that is something a lot of teachers should hear, at least a lot of history teachers that I have had in the past.
I also found especially interesting when he discussed past history and how history books, movies, etc. frequently use the words "we" to talk about the United States as a whole.
[i]"There is a coercive element to the language that is used in a history class—and in the media more generally, for that matter—that demands that students identify with the policies of the U.S. government and of U.S. elites: “Weâ€

Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:30 pm
All-star
All-star

Heather, I would have to agree with you about Bigelow. I found that reading this interview allowed me to understand him and where he was coming from even better. He seems to be a very educated man who really does care about the quality of education that he brings to his students. He wants them to have nothing but the best that he can give them. I can feel his passion for reaching out and touching his students. Since I want to be a history teacher myself, I hope that I will have the drive and passion that he has when it comes to education.

Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:25 pm
All-star
All-star

I think it is very important for all of us to explore how we connect to other countries. But to change the BAD in the world we need to work together. If enough people boycotted NIKE maybe they would reconsider their actions. But I'm afraid that most or a lot of American do not know about or care about who made their shoes and the conditions of the workers. We Americans want to get the most for our money so WE can live the GREAT LIFE. I like Bill's teaching strategies. Teachers must educate American so maybe changes can be made.

Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:47 pm
All-star
All-star

I also liked Bill Bigelow's interview and personal writing. I was really impressed with the way he taught in his classrooms. A lot of times, really most of the time teachers just stand in front of the classroom and teach/lecture and students get nothing out of it really. I feel that when teachers use hands on learning experiences, such as Bigelow did, students really and truly get into the discussions and really want to learn.

I loved when Bigelow was talking about his most memorable teaching experience and how the students were really involved and were organizing their own way to get the administrators attention. This is something I am going to love about being a teacher, actually seeing your students get excited and wanting to learn more and more. And actually using their lessons in their everyday lives. I truly was touched by Bigelow's interview and writing, becaused it showed me that he really is a true "teacher". :D

Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]