View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 how would you use the arts? 
All-star
All-star

just a question to go along with the whole arts discussion. if they were to (hypothetically) take out the set art classes in schools, what would you do within your classroom or your subject to interweave the arts? in an effort to keep the arts alive and all...

since i asked, here's my example of a few ideas ive already had for extra "little things" to do in the classroom with my students. p.s. i'll be teaching high school english, just for reference.

idea #1 - im taking this idea from my senior english teacher. we were reading works from chaucer and other "medievel" writers, so we each had to give some sort of presentation about something concerning the medievel period. but we had the choice of several ways to present. examples include writing a medievel tune and playing it for the class (one guy did that). another was dressing up in medievel clothing and describing what the attire was made of (one girl did that). i chose to make a medievel outfit for one of my old barbies (dont laugh). it was a real choice! each student was able to employ his/her own sense of art and expression and it worked great. it involved more than just writing a paper and then reading it in front of the class.

idea #2 - employ occasional creative writing. as extras for class or for homework, id ask my students to write a fun story. specifically, ive always wanted to have my students write descriptive papers of a certain object or thing. the papers would be read outloud and all the other students would have to draw the object based on the description to see just how accurate the description was.

see? there are plenty of ways to evoke the arts in a regular classroom. so what would you do?

Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:41 pm
All-star
All-star

When I was the preschool teacher at Lucy Brock, the children made up their own stories, and then acted them out at group time, choosing others to be characters, etc.

Now I am tutoring 4th grade children for EOG's in reading. I am asking them to do the same thing. Bring me a story of your own. We will write it down, act it out. Of course to act it out, you have to find out who the characters are, the main idea, the setting, etc. The more powerful aspect is that it is their own story.

On a grander scale, I had an expressive arts teacher who worked with the Isralis and Palestineans. He would literally collect people from each "side", and they would dance together. They couldn't "talk" their differences out at that point, but they could dance together. Awesome!

Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:56 pm
All-star
All-star

Good question!! :lol: Since I am a secondary math education my idea of integrating the "arts" in the classroom may be a little different. I could get the children to make projects where they have to calulate the distances of certain things and i could ask them to draw circles and different shapes and then find the area of each figure. There are tons of things that involve The "arts" that can also be brought up in the "math" class :D Not only does it help in the arts it also makes the children have more fun as they learn and in turn hopefully it will make them remember what is going on in class better.

Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:01 pm
All-star
All-star

There are a lot of ideas I could use in the classroom to integrate "the arts". I do think it is easier for elementary education because you have so many opportunities. One thing I would do is use creative writing and have the children make up a short story of their own and then illustrate it. They make blank books now so we could do a project and write the final copy in the book and the child could take it home to show his/her parents what he had accomplished over a couple days or week. Another idea would be to read a story and maybe one day let the children act it out for review, and you could even bring in props for them to dress up. Little things like this interest the child and it makes them want to learn more because it becomes fun for them. :D

Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:30 pm

First of all my concentration is music, it was theater, as I have always been invovled with music or theater one way or another all throughout my school years. But if youve never had Dr Rose in the music department I highly recommend her. She alone convinced me to switch over to a music concentration.
One day she came to class telling us this touching story of how she noticed that a group of kids would always run from the buses to the classroom while the rest of the school would drag their feet. When we asked why? She said this certain kindergarten teacher would sit down on the floor every morning with her guitar and sing out weather, the time, the day, whatever the kids wanted to.
There are alot of ways you can integrate the arts, into your normal classroom curriculum. In this one history class I took, we drew sidewalk pictures, make new lyrics to Christmas songs about the Constitution or a certain president. In a health class I recently took in college, we acted out certain scenarios. This not only helps with putting the child in the actual situation and gaining practice in how to react, but it also gets them interested in drama.
These are just a few ideas....enjoy! :D

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."

Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:24 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

That was a great question to ask Casey. I had never really thought about integrating the arts into my curriculum, but it really got me brainstorming. Since I'm teaching biology, I think there are a number of hands-on activities that the kids could do that would help them to learn the material and these could integrate "the arts." My 10th grade biology class consisted of making models for cells, interactions between molecules, atoms, etc. Those type of activities can get the students thinking creatively. Although it may seem childish for 10th graders, my friends and I definitely agreed that we learned more in that biology class because we had to make things instead of just looking at a picture and memorizing it. With labs you sometimes have to devise an experiment to test a hypothesis and this definitely calls for creativity. I'm sure there are lots of ways I haven't thought of to integrate the arts, but hopefully I'll think of some good ones before I start teaching.

Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]