View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Bill Bigelow article 
All-star
All-star

After reading this article it made me realize the important of telling children about what goes on in other places. This article made me sad to think about what other children have to go through to help someone make a dollar. I think the children in the United States should feel fortunate to be getting the education the they are getting. I did like the way he presented the material to his students. I believe it made them more open minded and they beagn to think about their life and how different their daily activities are.

Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:18 pm
All-star
All-star

In high school I didn't take a course like the one Bigelow taught the sweatshop unit. As a result of not having a Global Studies class I feel like I don't know much about what is taking place in the world I live in. I read the news headlines, but a lot of it I don't understand because I don't have much background information on current issues around the world. I think the purpose in a class like his is not to go change the world, but to give students a solid background where they can go out into the world and make well informed decisions.

Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:54 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you. I also thought about the children here and how fortunate they are to have the opportunities that they have. This article did make me feel bad for the less fortunate children out there. Teaching children about the world is very important. I think if children know what is out there in the world some of them may strive to make a difference or it may impact the way they prepare for their futures.

Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:13 pm
All-star
All-star

ashley, i understand what you are saying. i have no idea what is going on in the world sometimes, because i dont have the" background" like you said that this class was teaching these kids. I wish that i did know more about the current issues and problems of the world so that when people are talking about it i can have some clue about what exactly they are talking about.

Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:40 pm
All-star
All-star

Ladies,
I definitely argee with all of you. There are so many issues in this world that I don't really know about. And I guess that is my fault. But a lot of times children don't know these things because teachers hesitate to tell them about the issues at hand. I think that if we were all more informed about issues in the world, such as the global issue, then we would all want to try and help as a group.

Bigelow did an awesome job at showing his students what was going on this is issue and he allowed them to do whatever they felt they should do to make this issue more apparent to other students and to the companies involved.

Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]