View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Cultural Diversity Experience 
All-star
All-star

The thing that I thought about most during the video was the similarities between joe's cultural experiences and my own. I never really felt like I fit in with the crowd either and I think that my sister felt the same way and because of that we have grown to be each others best friend. I am Cuba Chinese on my fathers side and Caucasian on my mothers side. Because of that I never really fit into any of the ethic groupings. I think that Joe's story only presented a negitive aspect. I personally think that my ethnicity has helped me, by showing me more than one side of society. I told you all of that because Groton was trying to intergrate students. When I was a freshman I tried to get involved with the "multicultural" student association here at ASU. After three meetings I stopped going. I was the only person at any of the meeting who was not of the African American heritage. My point being that school and colleges alike need to be open to more than white and black heritages. Reach out to Indian, Asian, Etc. backgrounds. Thats when a place will truely be intergrated. We need to be exposed to other cultures, but never lose sight of our own. This doesnt apply to the question that we were asked at the beginning of class, but i think it is still a valid input.

Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:14 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Jennifer, I see what you are saying. I too have always seen things in our society as being overly white and black. Being a white/male I know that I haven't even come close to not being recognized in our society. It is tailored to fit my needs. This is a sad thing! I like to think of myself as being very culturally accepting. I come from a town that isn’t very integrated and I feel that has done me a disservice. I was very sheltered from other cultures and that is not a true representation of what the real world is like. There are different cultures and points of view all around. I try to embrace other cultures as much as I can out of respect for those who think and believe a certain way. I do that in hopes that they will do the same for me. Being proud of who you are a great thing. Embrace you heritage. Who really cares what others think of you anyway!

Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:19 pm
All-star
All-star

Andrew, I am so glad to someone else has a similar opinion to mine. I know that as history majors we have to take certain courses like African American History, Latin American history, etc. I think that its a shame that these classes are only required for certain majors. Somewhere in school we should be required to take a class that combines all these cultures so that when students are in the real world they will have a better understanding of these cultures and hopefully be as open minded as you seem to be. I dont think of myself as "culturally literate" but I do believe that I am well rounded when it comes to diversity. I think that it is important that as teachers we can relate to more than one group of students since we will be faced with a variety of ethnic backgrounds.

Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:28 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I agree with you 100%. I feel fortunate that our major has allowed me to take the very courses you have mentioned. I feel that though I may not fully understand everything about the cultures that I was introduced to in the classes, I am better equipped to see things from their point of view and take them into consideration. Another class that I feel will help me with this is Religions of the World. I took this my freshman year and I absolutely loved it. I was introduced to several different religions and I feel that this will help me to understand how to deal with issues with my students better. Just like tonight’s question in class on how to deal with a student weak form Ramadan, I feel that I will be even more sympathetic to the needs of that child knowing something about their religious background. I wish everyone would be required to encounter the sort of issues and topics that these classes force us to see. The world might just be a better place for it?

Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:03 pm
All-star
All-star

Jenn, thank you for enlightening my own journey. Personal stories count and I appreciate your insight and your experience.

Thanks, Rebekah

Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:26 pm
All-star
All-star

i definitely agree with the comment about how every major should get the opportunity to take the histories of different groups of people or any other classes that will help broaden your views as a person. as an elementary education major (and i'm sure it is like this for other majors too), i have absolutely no time to take classes that i just plain want to unless i want to add another semester to my four years. i wish that we had a little more freedom within our major. my major is so full and there are classes i would like to take that don't fit into anything...so should i really have to stay here an extra semester to take some things that i actually want to take? because i know that there are many classes that will help me to become better teacher and person...i am still pondering whether or not i want to stay in boone just a little while longer...

Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:13 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you and Jennifer I am glad you have shared your experience with us. I kow by no means am I really cultural literate, as different cultures are concerned. I do agree with you and Andrew that classes should be required for everyone to be able to experience or to learn about other cultures. I feel that I am sort of fortunate with my major becauseI am a Spanish major I am able to experience and learn about Hispanic culture. Just last semester I went to Spain and was imersed into the Culture and it was absolutely amazing to see how they viewed things, and live their lives. I felt that it was very important for me to experience something like that so when I teach my students I am not teaching them from what I have learned or be told but from my own experience. Yes everyculture is different and unique in there own ways and those difference need to be embraced by everyone. I know that because we livein the south that we have to deal with Racism to an extent but if everyone put forth the effort we could overcome those difference and learn to live with one another maybe not peacefully but knowingly or compromisably. I think it would be fascinating to learn about more cultures than the US because the Hispanic culture is truely amazing. While in Europe I was able to experience/sightsee in Italy and it was interesting just to sit back at times and see how they go about there daily lives.

Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:39 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

All of you are making great points. I think their should be a class required for all teachers dealing with cultures found around the world. People are constantly moving in to the United States from all over the world. These children are finding their ways into the schools and in to the classrooms. We as future teachers need some kind of background that will provide us with the knowledge to accept and deal with them in a classroom environment. We will also have to make these students feel comfortable in our classrooms, and this means teacher other students in our classrooms about the new students cultures.

Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:37 pm
All-star
All-star

I think as teachers we will have a great opportunity to teach students about other cultures and races and maybe make a difference in all the racial problems in our society today. Education is the beginning

Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:21 am
All-star
All-star

I think that the "Learners and Diversity " course that we have to take for our major is a great class in helping to prepare us on how to relate to students from different cultures. It gives us the opportunity to research different religions, discrimination, racism, etc.

Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:51 pm
All-star
All-star

I believe the "Learners and Diversity" class is on;y required for Elementary Ed?!? Someone correct me if I am wrong but my major is Spanish Education and I am not required to take that class!!

Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:34 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

i have been brought up in a town that there was not much minority. I guess that you could say i have been sheltered all my life. I hate that becuase i KNOW so little when it comes to other peoples cultures and that really upsets me. I feel "dumb" when there is a conversation about another cultural becuase i dont have anything to say and i can not add any of my ideas to it. Does anyone else feel this way?

Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:02 pm
All-star
All-star

Kelly, I know what you mean. I've lived in Boone all my life, and as you all can see there is not that much diversity here as well. I think that learning about other cultures is really neat, and i would love to take time to do that. I feel a lot like Kelly does when people are discussing other cultures because i don't really know a whole lot about them either, so i never have anything to add to the conversation.

I also think that we (as a campus) focus more on black/white as being the only two cultures. We do need to branch out more and look at how many of others cultures are represented on our campus.

Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]