View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Letter from Birmingham Jail 
All-star
All-star

As I was reading this letter it touched me so deeply. One of the things that stuck out to me is the part where he is speaking about his children and the impact that prejudice had on them. I couldn't imagine the pain that he felt having to explain to his six year old daughter that she couldn't go to the new amusement park because Negros weren't allowed. That was so wrong!!! Another heart wrenching statement was "Daddy, why do white people treat colored people so mean?" Children are, always have and always will be innocent. How did he ever find the words to answer a question like that for a small child? I'm so glad that I didn't live in those days. I'm a Christian and I believe that everyone is God's child. It doesn't matter what your race might be. God loves us all and everyone should always be treated as equal. It is sad that society isn't that way. But, I'm happy that it is better now than it was so many years ago when it comes to race.

Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:26 pm
All-star
All-star

Wanda I agree, I would not want to live during that time either. It would be hard for me to have imagined the pain he felt each day as he faced such an unfair world. How would you explain to your children that they could not go some where or do someting because of the color they were? Times have improved a great deal, but the hauman race has a long way to go.

Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:59 pm
All-star
All-star

Wanda I agree, I would not want to live during that time either. It would be hard for me to have imagined the pain he felt each day as he faced such an unfair world. How would you explain to your children that they could not go some where or do someting because of the color they were? Times have improved a great deal, but the hauman race has a long way to go.

Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:04 pm
All-star
All-star

As you already know, I am also a christian and I think everyone should be treated equally. This is a very sad issue to look back on or even talk about. It is very hard to understand the thinking behind the mistreatment of black people. I do think great progress has been made and will continue to be made; however, I don't think that things will ever be completely fine. I too am glad that I did not live in that time. I am ashamed of how white people treated the blacks. I truly feel bad for what my ancestors done.

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]