View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Racism 
All-star
All-star

Why do we as a society treat everyone other than whites as less superior beings? Before long Whites will be the minority and Blacks the majority. How do you think race issues will be treated then? The history of racism bothers me but I don't see it improving greatly. We have come a long way but we have a long way to go before racism is no longer a problem (if ever). What can be do?

Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:13 am
All-star
All-star

Sherry I agree with you. Whites are quickly going to be the minority. A person should not be judged by the color of their skin, but is seems all to often that they are. Being a specific race/color shoud not entitle anyone to perks that they otherwise would not get. As a socity we should look at the inside of a person not the outside.

Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:04 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with you both. A person's skin color does not make the person. It is not our place to judge anyone. We are all God's children and it doesn't matter what your race might be. I have black and white friends. Just because my skin color is white doesn't mean that I am better than someone whom's skin is black. Racism really aggravates me!

Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:43 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that when we are disscussing the issue of a "minority" we should consider that there are two different types of minorities, there is a minority in repect to numbers and there is a minority concerning power. Many people only look at the numbers of a cartain race and quickly say "whites are becoming a minority", however whites are not becoming a minority in power. I do not know specific statistics, but I do know that white people in power are overly represented. :?

Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:09 pm

Has anybody else heard about that scholarship at a college where they are raising money for a "Whites Only" Scholarship? I heard a little bit about it from my roomie who saw it on CNN.com, she said that a group on that campus was raising money for this fund because there were so many minority scholarships. I thought this might be something interesting to talk about that dealt with racism. But I havent found anything on it.

On one hand I want to be like "grow up" and quit showing off. But on the other hand, how come there are so many "minority" awards but not any "white" awards? Which also leads you to think, if whites are becoming the minority, will we get to start applying for this scholarship?

Little lost, Rebekah H.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."

Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:49 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

just a quick thought/story on how sad and pathetic racism is, but how prevelant it is even here in boone. a customer at work came in the other day a tad distraught. after chatting it up a bit with him i came to find that he had been in court all morning over a simple check issue. at the end of it all, the judge slapped him with a $500 bond, which he unwillingly and disgruntly paid. he looked at me so pitiful and just said that he had never been treated so poorly and never had encountered such racism in his entire life. now he could be making this out to be something that it is not; however, i thought it was all pretty pathetic.

Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:51 am
All-star
All-star

i just wanted to share this link to a news story that i just read. wxii12 is based out of winston-salem but serves a great portion of the piedmont area. as a matter of fact, we get this channel on campus, which is channel 12. this just proves that racism is still very much alive within "societies" and not just as an individual problem.

http://www.wxii12.com/news/2886303/detail.html

Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:07 pm
All-star
All-star

I think in a lot of the cases, these racial inequities within the system might not be a conscious effort. Rather, not consciously meaning to, there is a trend to treat people of different color and backgrounds differently. Yes, I am sure there still is a lot of conscious racism for many people in this country, but as for our system, I would like to think (even though it is still not a good thing) that the inequities stem from the unawareness that it is actually happening.

Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:24 am
All-star
All-star

Sarah I completely agree with you. I think that you do have to consider power. Also, as me and Andrew pointed out in an earlier thread, too many people are looking at race as a black and white issue. There are many many more races other than caucasian and African American. I think as long as people set these barriers in their minds we will never be able to fully embrace other cultures because we still have that seperation set in our minds. We need to embrace people from other cultures as gifts that will help us grow to be a better more well-rounded individual in society.

Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:06 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

i agree with jenn when she states that people tend to focus so much on black and white issues when there are many problems with people of all races all over our country. perhaps it is because the fight against prejudice towards black people stems from slavery, but i think we should all try hard to remember and include all citizens of our country when thinking of racism.
another thing that strikes me as interesting, and i'm not trying to step on any toes here, just curious...all this talk about "whites soon becoming the minority" (minority in numbers, not power, as sarah noted :wink: )...why is this important? i do agree that the "pure" white population is continually diminishing, but so is the "pure" black population and all other racial populations for that matter. as racial tensions cool and continue to disappear and the color of one's skin and/or their background continues to become less important, our world is going to change drastically. i can definitely imagine the future when the question found on so many scantron-type tests where you select your background will be totally obsolete- the population is and will continue to become more racially mixed and i think it is a beautiful thing. :D

Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:46 pm
All-star
All-star

Thank you Heather. Why do we put so much emphasis on whites being the new minority. If we are striving to live in a society where race does not matter, then we should not be looking at numbers, but should be trying to all love one another for who we are and not by our race or class.

Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]