View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 White privilege 
All-star
All-star

I think some whites in the US are privileged because they are white, but I believe social status has a lot more to do with it then the article suggested. I feel that mainly the white upper class has this invisible knapsack.

Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:25 am
All-star
All-star

i agree sherry! i think that if you are in the government and you have money you have the upper hand in alot of situations. I dont know why this is and i really do not think that its fair but people often pay more attention to people that have more money or/and have a good "social status". I wonder why this is?? what do yall think?

Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:22 pm
All-star
All-star

A lot of people associate money with power. And i think this is why people that have more money get the upper hand in a lot of situations. My parents have always told me that "it's who you know" in a lot of cases, but i am beinging to think that the statement makes more sense with, "it's how much money you have." Because society is looking at people with all the money, and i think that everyone, no matter what your social status, or your finanical status is than you should be heard!

Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:28 pm
All-star
All-star

I really agree with you guys!! It is sad to say but in our society today if you do not have money you are up th creek without a paddle!!!! I think money buys your "social status." You know what they say Money is Power!!!

Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:57 pm
All-star
All-star

its kind of funny that you all brought this up, but it's definately true . . . and in almost all situations. even in the smallest town, something is run based on your political/social standing. where i grew up this was even obvious in things like school sports. starting in middle school, the only kids you ever saw playing the more competitive sports, such as football, basketball, and baseball, were those whose parents had some sort of pull in the community. if their parents were an experienced teacher, was on the board of education or the mayor of the town, you were a sure in on the team. I remember my mom had to explain this to me when i was 12 and i didn't make the basketball team. it was sooooo beyond me. actually at the time, i didn't believe her. i remember getting really mad at her and calling her a dumb liar, which i later felt like a real bitch for doing. and now that i look back on it, its so obvious, ... and so, so sad.

Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:29 am
All-star
All-star

I agree that this privelege has to do with money and that is so sad, but I also agree with Besty's mother because that is what I have been told and have seen it happen throughout middle and high school , as well as who your parent's are, or siblings. Which is not necessarily because they have the money or know people but maybe because they played the sport when they were at the school and were really good so automatically the younger sibling or son/daughter are assumed to be great at it as well. This happens more so I guess in towns/cities that your family has lived all their lives.

Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:41 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I'm right with you guys on this. I think money=power; however, it's not just government workers. Look at the "stars". If you or I did some of the things that those people have done we would be jailed for a long time. If you have money the law doesn't always seem to apply.

Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:05 pm
All-star
All-star

Good point Melissa that is very true and I didn't even think about that until now!

Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:39 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]