View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. 
All-star
All-star

i just got done reading letter from birmingham jail by dr. martin luther king jr. and i must say that i was quite moved by it. i feel so thankful to have read this amazing piece of history as i have often heard of it, but never had it placed before me in its entirety.
i was wondering if anyone else felt such strong feelings from reading this piece? i couldn't help but continue to copy down quotes from the letter, there were just so many comments that i felt were so true and clear and wise. i never quite realized that dr. king was such an amazing writer and i am thoroughly impressed. of all the lines that i jotted down, i thought it would be interesting to share my favorite, and then perhaps have others explain which section, if any, had the biggest impact on them.
...so for me it would have to be...
...well i guess i can't just choose one...

when he discussed his label as an extremist: "so the question is not whether or not we will be extremists, but what kind of extremists we will be". how is it that he somehow manages to make good of the things said about him? i cannot imagine the courage, hope, and strength that dr. king possessed to continually stay strong in the face of such adversaries.

i also really liked the part where he was discussing nonviolence, explaining his beliefs behind it, noting that: "the means we use must be as pure as the end we seek...it is wrong to use immoral means to attain immoral ends". WOW! i am just in awe at his amazing use of the english language...such truth...

anybody else have strong reactions from this letter they would like to share?

i feel such sadness at the thought of the incredible man that this country lost...

Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:09 am
All-star
All-star

I know how you feel. He was such a powerful writer. I would have to sit down with dictionary to do the same. His words flow on the page in such a manner to wonder why someone could murder such a leader and assest to this country.
I thought that i would share my favorite quote with you:

"There comes a time when the cup of endurance runs over, and men are no longer willing to be plunged into the abyss of despair. I hope, sirs, you can understand our legitimate and unavoidable impatience."

Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:45 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with both of you. What an incredibly intelligent man. That was definitely my favorite article I have read thus far in this class. I'm glad somebody had the courage to stand up and say the things that needed to be said. I wonder how long it took him to write that letter because I know it would have taken me days. It just seemed so easy for him to express his thoughts and concerns.

Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]