View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Rules Mom v/s Teacher 
All-star
All-star

I have one other question that I would like to have your thoughts on.
Do you think black children suchas the one mentioned in class that was continually blurting out and disrupting was being singled out? I couldn't help but think that the child should be doing what his mother tells him; however, I think that the teacher must have and enforce classroom rules that will permote learning. If all the kids were disrupting, things would be out of control. I don't think the teacher was wrong in that situation because none of the other children were allowed to do that. Being at home with your mother is very different than being at home with a class of 23 or more kids all at once. What are your thoughts?

Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:05 pm
All-star
All-star

ha! we must have just posted the same threads at the same time. I think you are 100% right!

Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:28 pm
All-star
All-star

i definitely agree with you girls. i mean, i believe that it is the teacher's job to try and create students with the necessary things to have a good chance of success in this world. being allowed exemptions from classroom rules that everyone else has to follow seems to me a bad lesson to learn, a bad thing to get used to. i understand that it was not what the child was used to and understanding his background was still very important in this instance. especially with kids in the very early grades, there are a lot of changes for them and being aware as a teacher of what the kids are coming from can help you to help them make these changes successfully. i think that as long as you explain to the child that they are not wrong, simply that there is a time and a place for everything, i think that is ok. perhaps with the knowledge of this child's background, you can be a bit more patient and easy on him for a while, but not to the point of hindering other people's learning too. there is always a happy median somewhere!

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:10 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that the teacher should have her set rules and enforce them equally with each child. But I think it also goes back to our discussion a few weeks ago in class...with the topic of what things you will let pass in your classroom. I think there should be an appropriate time for the children to raise their hands in class, but also a time when they are free to talk. I don't think the children should always be restricted to raising their hands in order to speak.

Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:15 am
All-star
All-star

I think we must be patient with our students and get to know thier background. We need to set aside class time for students to get to be themselves and maybe have time just to talk among themselves. I know in all the schools that I have worked at the only times the students have time to talk to each other is when it is lunchtime. Maybe a solution would be to tell sstudents "if you will be respectful of me and raise your hand to answer questions, I 'll give you time to have free talk without raising your hands." I don't know maybe it would help or maybe it wouldn't but it wouldn't hurt to try. We need to make a compromise somewhere for these students.

Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:19 am
All-star
All-star

I think this may be repeating what some people have already said, but how are kids supposed to learn in the classroom if they're continuously blurting out, talking out of turn, etc. Whatever happened to being quiet in a classroom because in order to learn, you have to listen. These are simple classroom rules, and I think that if children don't understand this, the teacher should talk to the child and explain to them the rules of the classroom. I know we talk over each other and interupt in my house, but I'm not about to go in a classroom and do the same because it's disrespectful. There is, like someone else already said, a time and place for everything. I'd also like to mention that the town I live in is majority African American and a number of teachers I've had were African American, but the same rules applied in their classroom.

Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]