View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 correct me if i am wrong... 
All-star
All-star

Before we started the video in class the other night we were talking about how you should or shouldnt label children according to their ethic background. We didnt get to hear the entire reasoning behind why you should. I personally want to hear that reasoning. Something was said about you have to treat them according to their culture. Well just because a child has certain characteristics you cant say that you know what their culture is becasue of that. I think that if you do single different kids out and treat them different that you are just going to be sending the wrong message to the their children in your class. That message being that its ok to treat people different because of how they look or do certain things. And in my opinion that is promoting a type of racism that children could reflect on their entire childhood. In addition, you should never make a child feel out of place or treat them different than you treat their peers. I had a teacher or two do that to me and I know my sister did too. A child isnt going to feel out of place when they are younger unless you make them feel that way, so please dont. And if you have a child who's culture is different dont look at that as a bad thing. Instead use that to your advantage. You can learn about that culture and so can the children in your class. You can look at it as a stubbling block or a stepping stone, its all how you choose to approach it.

Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:49 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Jenn I definetly agree with you on this. All children should be treated the same. I had friends that were treated the same way you and your sister were and they felt out of place many times throughout middle school, especially because other students picked up on the way my friends were being treated.
Thanks for pointing this out, I think it is very important that we as future teachers remember this when we have students that may look or act a certain way!

Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:05 am
All-star
All-star

Jenn, I also agree with you on this. We should treat our students equally. Just because their skin color may be different doesn't mean anything. I for one, would look at it as an advantage. I don't just want to be the Teacher in the classroom that lectures all day. I want to learn from my students. So, if I had a culturally diversed classroom it would be great because I could learn about a new culture.

Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:08 pm
All-star
All-star

Jenn, I really appreciated your posting on this topic. I think so many times teachers worry about when they do get children in their classrooms that do have different cultures. But i think that it is a way of learning more from that student and teaching the others about that culture as well. That student can still learn just as well as the other students as well! So, I don't understand why you would treat that child according to their culture either?! :?

Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:33 am
All-star
All-star

Jenn, I think "stepping stone" is the perfect way to look at this. Having students of a different background is a great advantage to teachers. They now have a first hand account of a certain that they wouldn't be able to find a book. I do feel that before teachers use this valuable resource they need to make sure the students feel comfortable sharing, but not all students would be.

Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]