View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 An Indian Father's Plea 
All-star
All-star

Just courious if anyone has had a chance to read this article. I found myself imagining the life of this Indian kid. I just kept visualizing his life as it was described. For example this quote, "He has been with his mother at daybreak when she made her prayers and gathered fresh seaweed from the rocks." His life just sounds so fullfilling and peaceful. I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same way.

Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:48 pm
All-star
All-star

I think his life maybe peaceful. I would love to know more about nature. I found the statement that he was looking out the window very disturbing. I probably would have thought he was just daydreaming and never consider what he was really doing. I ignore so much that is going on in nature. It must be wonderful to truly appreciate it.

Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:58 pm
All-star
All-star

I also found myself thinking of what a peaceful existance this would be. I was so fascinated with the events that happened to this child in the first five years alone!!!

Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:39 am
All-star
All-star

And I thought the child was so appreciated and valued in his community. Even before he was born, they were carefully preparing for him. HIs tribe must have given him such a sense of belonging and worth.

Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:46 am
All-star
All-star

Wanda, I do agree with you this story was peaceful. I also thought it was amazing what this child went through in his 5 years of life. I think as teacher we need to get to know our students because it will probably be amazing to find out what they have experienced.

Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:48 pm
All-star
All-star

Wanda, I do agree with you this story was peaceful. I also thought it was amazing what this child went through in his 5 years of life. I think as teacher we need to get to know our students because it will probably be amazing to find out what they have experienced.

Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:49 pm
All-star
All-star

Wanda, I would like to have a vacation as peaceful as this kids everyday life. I also wish all kids were appreciated and valued like this kid.

Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:25 pm
All-star
All-star

i agree with all of you guys. i thought his experiences before he was 5 were so interesting. i think i would have loved to have learned to love nature so much at such a young age. what a truly killer experience.

Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:49 pm
All-star
All-star

I think having a child like Wind-Wolf in your classroom would be so valuable. He is full of information about his culture, nature, etc that other kindergarteners wouldn't know about. He would become a valuable resource for a teacher to have. He could share so many things with the class, and the class would see that this kind of knowledge is also important. They would learn to respect Wind-Wolf for who he is as an American Indian and the differences he brings to their class.

Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:09 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that having a student like wind-wolf could be benefical for the class as well. But make sure that the student is ok with sharing about his culture before you ask him any questions dealing with it in front of his classmates. Not all children are willing to volunteer information and it could be upsetting to some if they are put on the spot and made to feel different.

Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:53 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

This reading made me consider how much attention Wind Wolf received as a baby/child...how involved he was in the lives of the tribe members...how involved they all were in his life. Then I think of how neglected many children are...unaware...and stifled by their environment. I wonder if school was a hinderance for Wind Wolf whereas some students find it a haven...

wow...what extremes we will deal with each day...and we must better each child, regardless...

Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:06 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree as well that having a child like Wind-Wolf would be beneficial in the classroom. It's great when children can learn about other cultures in the classroom, and the teacher can give each child a chance to talk about their own culture. By letting children relate classroom experiences to themselves they are more willing to become involved and speak out more which is great :D

Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]