View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 An Indian Father's Plea 
All-star
All-star

I read this article and was very disturbed by the fact that the teacher thought the child was a "slow learner." I think it bothered me because lots of people don't find the time to learn about other cultures other than their own. I have driven through many Indian reservations out west, and visited Wounded Knee. Just driving through, without even knowing anything about them, allows you to realize how different their culture and living styles are from ours. It seems like teachers should not automatically label someone a "slow learner" without knowing anything about their culture. Why would they expect everyone to have learned the same way before they even entered the school system?

Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:26 pm
All-star
All-star

This was very disturbing to me as well. Teachers need to take the time to get to know each child on both a personal and academic basis before ever making any assumptions about any of their capabilities. Just because a child is from another culture than the one the Teacher is familar with does not give them the right to "label" that child. I sincerely hope that in my future career as a Teacher I never fall into that catergory. Personally, I feel that Teachers should look at it as an opportunity for themselves to learn another culture while teaching the child.

Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:55 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with yall! I do not like the fact that children have to be labeled especially because all children not just ones from a different culture learn differently and at different levels. But the fact that the teacher didn't even take into consideration that he was from a different culture and that might be the reason he doesn't learn like the rest of the kids astounds me.

I find it so amazing that the young Native American children learn such things at that young of an age. I wish I had learned some of the things they had learned or that we all had, that way everyone might respect nature a little more. I really hate that the boy felt ashamed of his background! I don't think anyone should make a child feel ashamed or even to allow them to. As a future teacher I believe the teacher should have encouraged his diversity and not hindered it. I mean the world wouldn't be a fun place if everyone was just a like. :!:

Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:19 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

just a quick thought: i found it kind of funny that the teacher thought the child was a slow learner because he was shy and quiet. when i was in elementary school, all the students were tested to determine if they should be placed in advanced courses (a.g. and tep programs). i wasn't accepted into these and my mom was a little confused. i was placed in the average classes and never felt too challenged. in certain subjects, i tended to get bored (things like math). my mom questioned the teachers of the results, and they told her that because i was a shy and quiet student i would learn better at a slower pace ... essentially incinuating that i was a slow learner. my mom was pretty pissed off because social personality doesnt always determine academic potential. when i read the article, i understood where the father was coming from. his child was not at all slow, in fact probably more advanced than other children. his shy disposition does not say anything about him, except for just that: he's shy.

Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:47 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with all of you. I also found it interesting that that father was taking the incentive to write to the teacher informing her of his concerns for his child. When teachers are not familiar with a culture they might think the students are slow learners, but in fact they are not. The fathers concern has given him the opportunity to tell the teacher about his son and this might help the teacher see how the child learns differently. A lot of parents would not write the teacher because they feel out of place in a different cultural setting of the school. We as future teachers need to make our classrooms inviting where parents feel welcomed to come in and share their culture with us. Having a connection with our students' families will better assist us in determining the learning abilities of our students.

Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]