View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 African American Tale 
All-star
All-star

I have lived in the south all my life and yes because I live in a small town, occassionally you can still hear stereotypical remarks about African American males. Through stories growing up and movies that I have seen I have seen both the "Sambo" and the "Brute" stereotype but I had never heard the term "Sambo." I never have liked the remarks I have heard and get very angry when people say things like that. I know that one form or another of discrimination still occurs in school, which is wrong, but I didn't ever think of these stereotypes being part of it. I know that teachers know which buttons to push to make a student upset, angry, or frustrated, but I believe it to be very wrong to use them to get a student out of their classroom. I feel a teacher should motivate the students to learn or to find how they learn best and push them to their greatest potential. Yes I do admit that I can be naive about somethings, or that I know that things like this still occur but I think it is wrong and that it should be fixed.

Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:27 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I definitely agree with you. I come from a smaller town as well and when I was younger I remember hearing remarks people would make and it really upset me. I disliked the fact that people made judgements before they even got to know someone, so I made it a point in my life to get to know people and not judge them beforehand.
I also think that teachers should go out of their way to find out how each student learns. We should not look over any student or disregard them because they act/learn differently. I have seen students in classrooms I've observed that have been kicked out for acting differently...and I don't want to become one of those teachers that just gives up. I know we will have a lot on our shoulders already, but giving that extra effort and seeing a student succeed will make it all worthwhile.

Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:51 pm
All-star
All-star

It seems to be a trend that we have all seen and heard prejudice. That fact makes this issue all the more important. We as teachers should work harder in order to break our society from these prejudices. We need to learn patience with all our students and get to know them and their real problems before just giving up on them and sending them out of the class. The sending them out is what continues on the prejudices. The students conform to these prejudices because they feel they can’t escape them. If they are shown a way, they might just be able to break free from them.

Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:13 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you Andrew, sending them out won't help the problem it will only make it persist. My sister is a high school teacher right now and occassionally she will tell me about not being able to handle a student and she would send them to the office, but the office didn't want to deal with them so they would send the student back to class or just let the student hang out and not get punished for their misbehavior. I also think whether a student really needs to be taking out of the classroom or not that the principals should help in trying to solve the problems of our students. I don't think it should just be the teachers job but I think the teachers should be supported in trying to help.

Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:22 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Yes! Show them a way! I want to know more about this "way" you're talking about. I am really excited about different cultures (social & otherwise), so I intend to make differences in the classroom a great topic of discussion and celebration! On the first day of classes I plan on putting kids in groups and making them come up with 5 ways they are all different- nothing in common, and then 5 ways they are all alike, then share these with the class and see what we come up with. I am then going to put these lists on posters around the room to remind everyone that we are all different in some ways and that is awesome! If we were all the same it would be SOOO BORING. So it's nice to hear you have some positive perspective on the issue. It really doesn't have to be a negative thing if you approach it creatively. Get your students involved in what's happening with stereotypes of all kinds, and media hypes that can make us all feel "not so up to snuff" when we really ROCK! Build self esteem while celebrating diversity- what a concept! :D

Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:01 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]