View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Teaching about Native Americans 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I found this list of things to be very informative. Many of the things that were listed as not to do, I can remember doing in my classes when I was younger. As a history teacher I am going to hold on to this article. I think a lot of things were put in to perspective for me, and I do now want to offend anyone is my classroom ever!

Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:05 pm
All-star
All-star

I thought this article did have some good suggestions on what to do and what not to do but I felt that it contradicted what the article "A Father's Plea" says. Lake says that the teacher should acknowledge his sons cultural differences and learn from him about the culture, while this article tells us that we should not put them on the spot and ask them about their culture. I think that is strange that the father from the same culture says to ask his son and to learn from him but then this article says that putting them on the spot is not fair to them. What is everyone elses opinions on this???

Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:42 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I also thought this article contradicted with the article "A Father's Plea". Lake thought his son had a lot insight to offer his class, and so did I. I don't think a child should be put on the spot and made to share his culture, but if it is done the right the child would want to share his culture.

Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]