View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Conflict??? 
All-star
All-star

OK. In the Indian Father's Plea the father is sitting there telling us that his son could teach the class about their culture, but in the teacher talk article it says to avoid having students tell about their culture. Which one should you do?????

Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Emily, I agree with you. This can be a touchy subject. I think that if a child wants to talk to the class about their culture, then by all means I will give them the time to do so. Maybe a politically correct way to do it would be to have all the students share special things about their culture or family customs. Most of us may be Americans, but I about guarantee that everyone has something different that they do that they could share with the class. I dont know, just a thought!

Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:11 am
All-star
All-star

I think that you can educate other children in a class without singling out other children. As a teacher you could do some basic research on a culture and teach the class about that culture without referring back to the student. This way you are education others about a different culture and at the same time you are giving that particular student the choice to volunteer information or just blend in with the other students.

Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:28 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I think that if the a parent encourages a students to discuss issues concerning their culture, then it is up to the student. Until the teacher knows the culture, maybe instead of singling out the student, the teacher could talk to the parents and student together to come to an agreement. Another option would be for the parent of a different culture to come and speak with the kids...Classrooms of students LOVE guest speakers. I know when we discuss China in my classes there are TONS of ASU graduate students that come to schools to talk to kids about their culture. I had a graduate student from ASU who was from China come and talk to the kids (middle school) about what kids their age do in China. He showed slides, played music and even wrote all their names in Chinease!! They loved it and it was not singling the only China student that we have in our class out.

Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:29 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with Corrie in that you can discuss the issue of sharing information about their culture with the parents and students in private. If they feel comfortable with the idea of sharing then you could proceed to have the parents and/or students share with the class. If they don't feel comfortable I think Corrie had a great idea to bring in someone from another culture. You can still get your point across about differences without making your students uncomfortable.

Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:00 pm
All-star
All-star

i think the best way to handle this situation is to allow students to volunteer information about their culture without making them feel responsible to talk about it. if you're discussing the asian culture for instance, i would open up discussion to everyone to talk about their own experiences(or lack their of) with that particular culture. i think this would be a good way to clear up any misconceptions people might have, as well.

Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:34 pm
All-star
All-star

I liked the idea of letting each child share something about their own culture. If things are done this way, no one is singled out and everyone learns something new about someone elses culture. This offers a chance for students to clear up misconseptions and hopefully help others to better understand their culture.

Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:48 pm
All-star
All-star

that is a good question em! its hard to say. i think that it is a good thing to let students talk about thier culture. Iknow that if its not done right that it will single students out but it could be very benifical as well. i know that when i was in school i loved hearing about other peoples backgrounds and thier beleifs it made me more aware of what was going on around me and it made me more think about different ways of living.

Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]