View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Discrimination Video 
All-star
All-star

I thought last nights video showed a very good lesson; however, I was wondering if this lesson would work in today's classrooms. I just felt sure that even if this was explained before hand someone would be upset enough to cause the teacher grief. I thought the real experience of discrimination stuck with the kids in the video and I would love to have more ideas like that one. I wonder what other precautions a teacher might take to pull this lesson off. Would a teacher need to talk with the principal before doing a lesson like the one in the video? What are your thoughts?

Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:39 am
All-star
All-star

I think a lot of effort would need to be made by the teacher to make sure this type of lesson went over without a hitch. Definately talk to the principle and see if a letter to the parents would be necessary. Always cover yourself when dealing with sensative issues. It is better to be safe then sorry when it comes to issues such as this. In addition, avoid putting students in to situations such as Kaelyn's experience where the teahcer did not switch sides and did not "sum up" the lesson. Proper planning is necessary.

Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:12 am
All-star
All-star

i really enjoyed last night's video as well. i think that this could work in today's classroom under certain conditions. if the lesson were to last more than one school day, i think it would be appropriate for the teacher to send a letter home to parents letting them know what's going on. i also think it would be better if the teacher informed the principal about this lesson beforehand, to avoid any internal conflict. i really liked how this lesson seemed to stick with those kids, even after they had grown up and become adults. and i think if it's done right, it could be great.

Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:30 pm
All-star
All-star

i agree with you corey. You should definilty go to the principal first. I would even tell the parents. I thought that the lesson was great and it worked really really well on the students, but if i were to ever do it i dont know if i would be that harsh. I just felt as though this particular teacher took it to the extreme. Im really suprised that those students didnt start crying. If i would have been in that situation i know for sure that i would have cried. what do yall think?? was she to harsh or do you have to be?

Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:33 pm
All-star
All-star

i think this lesson can always work in the classroom. granted, it was about 8 or so years ago when my teacher did this and i think it did take a lot of effort on her part (except when she screwed up by only teaching it 1/2 way through). i don't know how she went about dealing with the principal or whoever else; however, i don't recall having a letter sent home to explain anything. i do remember coming home and when explaining it to my mom, she was very interested in it. i doubt the teacher got any grief from it, unless it was due to her only teaching 1/2 through. she taught (1/2 of us) a very important lesson and we were old enough to understand that she wasn't doing this out of spite, but to help us learn. but getting back to more of the topic, i think any teacher could pull this off with support from the administration. i don't feel they should have any problems with parents, and if they do, it might be a good thing that the kids are learning this because their parents may not be the greatest racial influence on them.

Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:30 pm
All-star
All-star

id love to do a lesson like this in my classroom when im a teacher because i think it'd fit right in with any curriculum i might have. if im teaching all sorts of literature, then its kinda hard to read any earlier american literature and not come across discrimination.

ill be teaching high school kids, which naively in my mind i believe to be mature enough to handle something like a small lesson on discrimination without sending a letter home to mommy and daddy. but hey, i could be wrong. in the case of smaller children where it might take more effort to make them understand the issues, then id send a note home so if the kids raise questions for their parents, the parents will know where they're getting the questions from.

Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]