View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Other Stereotypes? 
All-star
All-star

I was wondering what other stereotypes you guys think is common in schools? I mentioned before I intend to celebrate differences in the classroom, and there are a few I think should be addressed. For instance, I have been overweight since the 3rd grade. It has always been an issue, but no body ever wanted to talk about it except in a joking manner, but it is in fact a culture itself. I think at this point probably 50% of Americans are "overweight", but it's still frowned upon even though it is common. Some others may be anything from homosexuals to jocks and cheerleaders, christians and jews, or even boys with long hair and girls with glasses. I mean there are SO many cliques and stereotypes in high school that are incredibly real and present that have not even been mentioned! These things have just as much, if not MORE, of an affect on our students than race or financial status. These kinds of stereotypes are important for us to acknowledge because they WILL be a part of daily life in schools.

Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:49 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]