View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 What if funding for (insert your subject here) was infinite? 
All-star
All-star

I was just thinking about the funding issue again, and wondering what I would do if I had infinite funds? Would it really change the way I teach THAT much? I don't think it would. There have been incredible advancements in technology & the way we can present material, but to be honest in my opinion hands-on learning is still the way to go. Actually using knowledge to create, make or DO something is more important to me than some high tech equipment and fancy pants modules. Kids don't need all the bells and whistles of video games and high speed internet to learn. I feel if I had infinite funds I would of course get the materials and machines I would need, but nothing obscenely fancy and expensive because I just don't feel unneccessary spending is economically sound for any culture, especially the school setting.

Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:27 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I agree with you. I think on hands learning is also a great way to reach kids.

Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:17 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with you both. My high school was private and receieved a lot of money every year off of tuition. I loved the fact that the money went into resources like books learning activities and helped out with the art, drama, and science departments. What I also thought was cool was that we as students could request new resources (like computers, audio equipment, etc.) if we wrote a written letter to our dean stating reasons why we needed these things. I always felt that the money really went into the right things, and athletics had to come up with their own funding(fundraisers and such). In terms of public schools, I wish things could be changed so that they could all recieve the fairest funding possible, but until that day comes, I think teachers will have to be creative.

Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:34 am
All-star
All-star

leigh ann, you're great. if only funding was infinite!

but you're right...i mean, i could never spend it all (hehe) but i would definitely get what was needed and what could be used. often times, the budget difficulties are not dealing with huge technology undertakings, but simple supplies instead. my high school sold candy in order to buy paper. creativity is awesome, but some things will always require money...

you work on that infinite funding!

Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:49 pm
All-star
All-star

Leigh Ann, I agree with you about hands-on is the way to go, but I sure would like to try out an infinite funds.

Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:05 pm
All-star
All-star

My teaching would definately change with unlimited funds. If I could have infinite funds I would have all the latest science stuff. There is so much out there for hands on science including microscopes, aquariums, greenhouses etc. I think science is one subject that I could spend LOADS of money to get project supplies for students. What a nice dream!!!

Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:15 am
All-star
All-star

I agree, it would be great to have an unlimited amount of funds, but I think the bottom line is that good teaching is good teaching. If you are a good teacher, it isn't going to matter if you have all of the latest equipment. You will get your message across just the same.

Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

A good teacher will do great things with or without the infinite funding.
Oh but do not get me wrong. Infinite funding would be great, however considering that is about impossible, we just need to focus on the great teachers we are!! :D

Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]