View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Gay teachers 
All-star
All-star

I am reading alot of postings about gay/lesbian students...but I wonder about gay teachers.

How are they faring these days in the public school system? Do they still have to hide for fear of losing their jobs?

Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:29 pm
All-star
All-star

I imagine they have to hide their sexuality when in the public school setting. Not that I think it is wrong to be homosexual, I just think that gays are forced to hide the issue. It is such a huge issue lately and I cant even imagine a public school that would be accepting of this. I wish they were, but honestly, what does it matter. If you are a good teacher who cares what your sexual preferences are.

Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:29 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with Corrie in that I feel gay teachers hide their sexual orientation. I know when I was in jr high and high school there were rumors that certain teachers were gay, but their was never any proof. Even if the teachers were gay I don't think they would come out and say it, becasue it isn't very acceptable, especially in rural N.C.

Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that a teacher should be free to be open about their sexuality. They are no different than anyone else. As long as they are not forcing their way of life upon others than there should be no reason that being open with thier sexuality should be a problem. No good teacher would ever let thier sexuality become an issue in the classroom anways.
I dont know...does that make sense what I am trying to say? I have all these thoughts in my head and I cant get them to come out right...sorry

Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:04 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When I said I was in disagreement I really just meant the fact of hiding...not necessarily what anyone was saying....sorry I just wanted to make that clear! :D

Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:06 am
All-star
All-star

I totally get what you're saying & agree with you. It's really funny to me though because about half of my gay friends are, you guessed it, TEACHERS! Most of them have pictures of their loved ones on their desks just like any other teacher so their students have generally come to the conclusion themselves, but is rarely asked about. One friend said that her class DID actually bring it up one day & they had a very hush hush, in class discussion (not detailing her personal life, but just a general discussion) & that cleared up some of their questions. I forget who said it, but any professional teacher is not going to go into a ton of detail about their personal life with their students. I mean we are adults & they are still kids, in a general sense. I think we should respect that and the professionalism we carry with us to any job. I mean I really don't see being gay as something to talk about any more than being pregnant or getting a divorce, etc. It's your personal business ya know?

Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:53 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

This response is concerning gay teachers. I think a gay person male or female would have a very hard time getting a job in the public school system if they did not hide their sexual preferences. I have had one gay teacher and I must say that the way this individual presented theirself at times was distracting to me. I think that was because of my lack of experience around gay people. It just amazed me! I'm from a small country background. I never understood what gay actually ment until I was in late middle school. I had never been around a gay person either. I have had a little exposure since then but very little. It's still the kind of thing that I can't quite grasp. I suppose it goes back to my upbringing and religious teachings. I do think that a gay person could do just as well teaching as anyone else.

Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:15 pm
All-star
All-star

i'm just curious as to how long people will stop looking at who/what etc. soneone is and instead look at the things that are important ... kind personality, intelligence, so on and so forth ... i mean when are peoples minds going to grow out of the 1950s. please hang up the apron and greet then 21st century. it's here whether you like it or not (along with its full package),

Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:29 pm
All-star
All-star

Thank you Kaylen!!! This is what i have been thinking the whole semester. Even during our race and other topics. When are we as a society going to be able to not look at the big label that everyone has branded on their forheads and love each other for who they are?

Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:36 am
All-star
All-star

melissa, i'm sure that you have been around people who are gay before and have not even realized it! this should serve as great proof that of course they are capable of being good teachers! people who are gay are foremost people. sometimes its so hard for me to convey my feelings about this because, like kaelyn, who cares if they're gay? i believe that teachers that are gay should definitely not have to hide their way of life more than i feel that i should have to hide the fact that i am dating a person of a different race then myself. a professional teacher will never get into personal issues in their classroom and a professional principal, when interviewing, would never ask a potential teacher their sexual preference. gay, straight, black, white, to me the issue is all the same. do not discriminate against people.
just as the issue of racism and interracial marriage when it comes to race has finally started being resolved, i feel confident that it is only a matter of time before all people who are do not fit under the "norm" of heterosexuality will be able to live in this world with all of the rights and respects all PEOPLE deserve.

Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:49 pm
All-star
All-star

i know that where im from that is NOT excepted at all! i couldnt imagine the reaction of the parents if a gay/lesbian person were to teach at my high school. I know that that is not fair at all but in some places, such as my high school, that stuff just IS NOT excepted.

Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]