View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 I want to know something about you!!! 
All-star
All-star

I was just thinking we have been in class together for almost a full semester. I have finally started putting names with faces and I would like to know something about each of you. I know that any time someone asked what my major is they want to know why I want to be a teacher?

Well for me, it is something that I have always wanted to do. I have had some great teachers over the years who have inspired me to want to educate our future. And what other profession gets the summers OFF!!

So what made you decide to teach?

Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:45 pm
All-star
All-star

basically, i had a killer spanish teacher throughout all of high school and, when i came to college, i had all intentions of minoring in spanish. however, 5 majors later (not all declared though) i realized that the only classes that i really looked forward to were my spanish ones. so, i figured that was a pretty good sign that it should be my major, and why not teach someone else to love the one thing that you always loved learning about?

Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:16 pm
All-star
All-star

I always thought I wanted to be an elementary school teacher because I loved kids. Then I realized that that wouldn't be the right reason to do it at all. I thought about it some more and realized that I really did want to teach, just not fifth graders. I thought back to my favorite teachers, and I quickly came to the realization that all my favorite teachers have been my high school English teachers-and I have always loved anything related to English. I guess the prospect of teaching really moves me and I'd love to make some sort of a difference in even just one student's life(as cheesy as that may sound and all)...

Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:16 pm
All-star
All-star

I always knew i wanted to be a teacher and since i was in third grade I thought that I wanted to teach history. That all changed when my senior year in high school i ran out of classes to take and had to take a entreprenuership class. That class was by far the best course i took in high school and i decided that that was my true passion. So now im a secondary business education major with a minor in history. Its odd how it happened, but after being in the schools for over a year now tutoring and teaching one day a week, i know i made the right decision.

Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:49 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I love photography. I had the most awesome art teacher in high school (who I am still good friends with). She has so much love in her, and she was NEVER afraid to show that she cared for her students. She inspired me to want to teach art. When I came to ASU I discovered their Technology Department had a great Photo program so I wanted to do that. Well I finished that degree & still felt like something was missing, so I remembered my original goal of wanting to teach art. I decided to come back for Technology Education, which would be fairly easy for me to pick up & incorporate my love of photography into. Anyhoo, here I am, wondering how it will all work out & if it will fill the void I felt a year ago or not....

Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:05 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I knew I wanted to major in biology, but I wasn't sure what I wanted my concentration to be. Obviously I decided to teach. I'm not sure if I really wanted to do that at first, but what an honorable profession it is. Biology is fascinating, and I wish more people realized that it is. Hopefully I can prove this to them, and maybe people in my classes will decide to go into biology and make a difference in all types of areas one day.

Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:01 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Growing up I always thought that I wanted to be an elementary school teacher, however only about a year ago I decided that I was more cut out to be a highschool teacher. I decided that I wanted to teach the social sciences because those have always been the classes I have enjoyed most in school. Lately though I really think I want to go beyond that and eventually be a principal.

Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:40 pm
All-star
All-star

for almost as long as i can remember, i have wanted to be a teacher (there was a while when i wanted to work at sea world...guess that's what happens when you grow up in orlando 8) ). i have many fond memories of teachers that i have had throughout my schooling and decided on elementary ed mostly due to the fact that i am fascinated in the idea of being able to make such a difference. you gain so much of your person when you're young, you are so impresionable and so eager to learn...that is awesome to me and i am so excited to be around that everyday. kids are great! they make me happy and i hope that i can help influence their lives...in a positive way of course :D

Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:32 pm
All-star
All-star

This may sound weird but growing up the last thing that i wanted to do is be a teacher. All the other students in my class wanted to be one( because when you are little everyone wants to be one) but i never did. My junior year in high school i had the best math teacher that i have ever had. I have always been good at math and she let me help the students that were not doing as well out. I LOVED it. The next year i took a peer tutoring class and i got her as my teacher. She got really sick and i got to teach the class for about 12 weeks. IT was awesome!! At that point i knew that all i wanted to do was be a high school math teacher. So here i am! :lol:

Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:49 pm
All-star
All-star

yeah, i never wanted to be a teacher either. the idea of waking up that early every morning and doing the same thing id been doing (going to school) absolutely repelled me and made me sick to my stomach. ive always wanted to be a writer though - and ive always been attracted to english as a subject. all through high school i still declared my intentions as those of being a writer of some sort - more specifically a print journalist. but it didnt seem too realistic b/c getting a job is pretty iffy with that. so i thought about teaching and the more i thought about it, i watched my teachers and realized how much i love them and admired them. id never thought of it that way before. i started to imagine myself as a teacher of h.s english and it didnt seem so far off anymore. i slowly came to love the idea. the h.s. student aspect scared me, but as i started to go back and observe my sister's students from a different perspective, i realized i loved that age group too. so high school english it is!

Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:31 am
All-star
All-star

casey, you like to write?! that's a shocker... :lol: hehe

no kelly, you're not crazy. a teacher was the only thing i said i would never be. i was going to medical school at wake forest until my senior year in high school...but i had to determine what made me happy...what i couldn't give up was art. my mom is a teacher, but my high school art teacher was awesome and he was most influential in my decision. i went to governor's school for art...received teaching fellows, etc and all these were reassuring to me. ASU has an amazing art education department, though, and, due to them, i have become more adamant about teaching...more confident...and more excited!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ...although i'll forever be poor. know any single hot doctors?!

Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:09 am
All-star
All-star

Ashley, I would have to say that it is my love for children and my desire to make the world a better place. Kids make me happy. I love to watch them grow. It's just great to see a kid finally understand something that is hard for them. I feel that kids learn morals from the way that they are taught at home and at school. It is exciting to be a part of that. Imagine what a difference we can make if we try!

Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:01 am
All-star
All-star

I never wanted to be a teacher until I had children of my own. It is so rewarding to see them grow and gain new skills. I want to do something worth while in my life and help as many children as I can. I see this career not only fulfilling my life but the lives of others.

Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:08 am
All-star
All-star

Like many of you, I had no intention of becoming a teacher until late in highschool. I had always had boring teacher that didn't really care. For a while I hated school, but I always made good grades. This changed when I took a history class with the most awesome teacher and person that I have ever met. She made history fun, and it wasn't another class about rich white men. She included the stories that are not always told in highschool and didn't sugar coat anything. She was objective and that is something I had never seen in a teacher before. So I decided that history was my interest. Then I decided that I wanted to be that teacher, I wanted to provide my students with the same truth that she made me feel. So here I am :lol:

Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I attended a mission trip with a church group the summer after my freshman year in high school. We worked with a group of inner-city kids and I just really had a blast. I realized then that working with kids is what I wanted to do with my life and it gave the the opportunity to incorporate literature, which is my favorite subject, into my profession. Since then I have pursued a career as a teacher.

Tue May 04, 2004 11:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]