View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Your classroom 

If you were a parent would you be upset if your child was learning about alternative lifestyles without your permission?
Yes 82%  82%  [ 9 ]
No 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 11

Your classroom 
All-star
All-star

In another class im taking we talked about if we as teachers would have books like Heather has Two Mommies, and Daddys Roomate in our classroom. How do you feel about this and at what age do you think its ok to talk to students about lifestyles without the parents permission?

Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:41 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

We had this same discussion in one of my classes last summer and it was always a touchy subject with everyone. I think that in the younger grades you should always inform parents of what new topics you are going to be teaching their children. Today you can never be too careful...I know I wouldn't want to end up getting sued by a parent or have them in my face because I taught their children about alternative lifestyles without them giving permission. It's easy to just send a quick note home and give a heads up.

Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:16 am
All-star
All-star

i voted "yes" on the poll but i guess it all really depends. i have a 7 year old nephew in the 2nd grade and i know he hears more things from his classmates that im shocked about. if a teacher can present a subject in a neutral sort of way, then thatd probably be fine because i figure by a young age kids are seeing it somewhere else. but sometimes im kinda stuck on that issue b/c i feel itd be my responsibility to tell my child about stuff like that - things in society. i dont think teachers should have the responsibility of trying to explain such personal and curiosity-provoking issues. im still kind of on a traditional side in that i think schools might want to get back to an academic level. i dont mind teachers organizing activities or discussions concerning "worldly" or social issues, but a teacher shouldnt have to explain what homosexuality is to a small child. a parent has to have some impact on a child's life rather then leaving all the explaining to the teacher!

Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:35 pm
All-star
All-star

I can't imagine a teacher talking about this subject with young children.
I know I had to give permission for both my kids to be part of a sex-ed class when they were in the 4th or 5th grade. The boys and girls were separated and they only talked about the basic things. I think a teacher would bring a lot of problems on herself if she talked about those types of lifestyles in the classroom.

Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:28 pm
All-star
All-star

I also, couldn't imagine a Teacher discussing this subject with younger children in the classroom without parental permission. My girls are 8 & 4 and I would be very upset if they came home telling me they discussed this in class without my written authorization.

Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:16 pm
All-star
All-star

i voted no on this poll (probably not a big surprise to most of you). i guess why i don't have any problems with this sort of literature and information being presented to children is that whether you want to admit it or not, this is out there. you can't throw children in a bubble and keep them from all this forever. they will learn about this at some point in time. i think teaching them about it only helps them become more and more open minded and accepting. i have friends now that live with their "partners" and honestly if i had a kid, they'd know what's up ... if you teach them about this and to accept this now, then they won't even question it when they are older.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think as a teacher I would feel more comfortable implementing books like those discussed and talking about alternate lifestyles more around the 4th and 5th grade level. I find that students at that age are already aware and talking about alternate lifestyles, so there is not reason they should not be properly educated about them.

Tue May 04, 2004 7:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]