View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 unborn victims act vs abortion 
All-star
All-star

I just heard on the radio a brief explanation of the new unborn victims act. Because of the Lacey Peterson incident, (being murdered while pregnant) this will give full rights to an unborn child in the case of murder. For example, a murderer of a pregnant mother would essentially be responsible for 2 deaths.

I'd like to hear thoughts of this act, especially in comparison to abortion...Do you find this contradictory at all? Or do you know more about this act?

Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:24 am
All-star
All-star

I'm not very familiar with that act. I think it would be very contradictory though (or it sounds like it would be). Some things just make NO sense at all!

Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:28 pm
All-star
All-star

Ladies. This law has the possibility to cause serious repercussions for mothers of unborn children. If someone can be held accountable for the death of an unborn child by killing the expectant mother then why can't it be used in connection with a law such as charging a drunk driver with murder. Say if a pregnant women does something reckless, such as drink and drive, and has an accident that causes her to miscarriage, why will she not be charged with murder? This is only one instance.

Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:00 pm
All-star
All-star

Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:26 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm not very familiar with this act either. I'd also like to hear more about it.

Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:33 pm
All-star
All-star

It makes sense to me that the murder is killing two people and should be responsible for both deaths. But isn't abortion murder then. How can we justify killing (aborting) an unborn child as ok and convicting a murder of killing the same?

Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:43 pm
All-star
All-star

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,115189,00.html

Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:17 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that you should be held accountable for the death of an unborn child regardless if it is reckless driving, assult, etc. An unborn child is still a person and we should be willing to stand up for its rights when it can not.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:25 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

i suppose in my mind a fetus, an unborn child, whatever is a person - which puts that person under a category to receive the right to live. so in my train of thought, abortion would have to be connected to the unborn victims act. i read that article that angela posted the link to (thanks angela!) and i simply cannot agree with the people who argue that banning abortion takes away from a woman's rights. yes, a pregnant woman has rights. but an unborn child does to. and proponents of abortion seem to make an argument that leads me to the conclusion that it's okay to put one group of people's rights over another group's. does that make sense? how are we to say women have more rights over unborn children? we're all people, therefore we're all equal and deserving of certain rights. when it comes to life, you should be guaranteed certain rights regardless of whether or not you're born. you're still alive! i just cant see the justice in giving one group of people a certain set of rights and then denying another group in the same breath. in my opinion, if a woman wants to empower herself and give herself more rights and choices, then she should just choose to protect herself. isnt that the ultimate statement of being independent and knowing one's rights?

Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:49 am
All-star
All-star

Angela-thanks for the article-I wasn't aware that this law now existed. I think this law is pretty cool-but I do see how it is in opposition to abortion. Here's how I see it-abortion(as I understand it) is only legal during the first trimester because the fetus is arguably not yet a full human being. So, in my opinion, it would only seem fair to make the law the same-if a baby is killed after the first trimester, it is technically murder. I don't know-theoretically I can see how that would work, but I guess realistically it wouldn't. Whether I'm for or against abortion, it doesn't matter-but when I read that this law considered these fetuses to be "a member of the species homo sapiens, at any stage of development, who is carried in the womb." So I'm thinking what are they in abortion cases?

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:46 am
All-star
All-star

the only way i can make sense of this is as follows: when a mother has an abortion, she is choosing to kill this child. when she is murdered, however, someone else is choosing to kill that child. i'm not all for abortion and i'm not saying this law makes any sense or is right, but i thought maybe that is why it is.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:14 pm
All-star
All-star

Okay I can see how this new act would be a positive because it makes the killer responsible for the death(s). However, I think that it could possibly lead to the banning of abortion. We have came a long way in women rights, and I for one am not in favor for the act because it could possible take away the right to chose.

Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:19 pm
All-star
All-star

I definitly agree. I'm not in favor of this act either. I think that it is a woman's right to choose, i'm not saying that I'm for abortion, but i feel that it is a woman's right to choose what is happening with her body. And i feel that this act might take away from this freedom of choosing!!

Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:53 pm
All-star
All-star

this list of posts has really confused me! So are they going to start saying that if you have an abortion then you are charged with murder of your fetus? If that is so then what is stopping people for being charged with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and other disorders that happen when pregnant women don't take care of themselves? I think that this law is not a great idea. There are way too many grey areas here!

Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:51 pm
Site Admin

I think Emily's confusion reflects a real problem with this sort of legislation. I always find myself hoping that someday we will decide to care more deeply about children who are already alive, and who are attending inadequate schools, or who live in poverty. Pain and suffering for autonomous little children concerns me deeply. I always hope that those who care deeply about unborn children will extend the same concern and political action toward those children who are already born.

That this rarely happens makes me very sad. I think there would be universal and free child care if this was the case, and I think our schools would also pay teachers well for the critical work they do to support children's growth and development. I suppose I wish too much for consistency in public policy!

Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:46 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would think that this seems completely contradictory, but has that every stopped a politician? But seriously, this is such a loaded topic I am a little hesitant to wade into the fray. I have to say though I feel that this law most certainly should carry over into abortion.

Tue May 04, 2004 5:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]