View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Dress Code in Public Schools 
All-star
All-star

Not too long ago we were having a discussion at the school, where I work about the dress code. Some of the Teachers liked the idea of a "uniform" dress code. I never grew up with a dress code at my schools. I'm not sure that I would like the idea if it ever arose as an option in our school system. Did any of you have a specified dress code in your schools? If so, did you like it? If not, how would you feel about working in a school with a specified dress code?

Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:13 pm
All-star
All-star

I never went to a school with a dress code. I do not think I would like to work in a school system that made students dress in uniform. I think students should have a choice in what they wear as long as it is approiate.

Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:22 pm
All-star
All-star

Well my school had a dress code but it was not a uniform we just couldn't wear certain things and since I have graduated it has become more strict. I am not sure that I would like as strict a policy as a uniform but I guess it just depends on what type. I feel that students should be able to express their individualilty and creativity, but at the same time we are not at school to dress to be noticed. I think that a dress code with a strict policy of no mid drifts or no boxers showing and things like that is good, but if the policy didn't work then I would probably work towards Uniform but not one set uniform have several different ones they could choose from.

Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:59 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Okay, I have a huge problem with the dress code. First of all, we live in a democratic society where we are supposed to have freedom of expression. If we lived in a dictatorship or a communist government I could understand the significance of a dress code, because that type of government is controlling. If we want our children and our students to be independant thinkers how can we dictate what they can and cannot wear? I uderstand the resoning behind the argument for the dress code (gangs...etc.) but in the real world people are different, they act different, they make different amounts of money, different jobs...etc. So if we want to prepare them for the real world we cannot shelter them from different expressions. :!:

Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:10 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm not a huge fan either of implementing a dress code in the school systems. I think students should have the right to wear what they choose, as long as it is in reason. There are many good points for both sides, but most students like to express their individuality and what they choose to wear can be one of their biggest statements. Plus I think it would make the school environment boring to come to each day and see everyone looking the same. :P

Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I used to be very anti-school uniforms, and anti-dress code, because I felt like they took away a great deal of individuality from students. Now I'm not so sure where I stand. Now that it seems cliques are formed solely on who can afford a certain brand of clothes. School uniforms would remove this dividing line and put students on a more even keel. Individuality doesn't necessarily come from outward expression, and I think the decision should be made on a individual school basis.

Tue May 04, 2004 4:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]