View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Does the SAT really work??? 
All-star
All-star

Most of had to take the SAT in high school so we could get into college, but what does it really meassure for the colleges about a person? I took the SAT three times and never was really satisfied with my score but it was good enough. I never understood why we needed that test to get into college. It isn't like it test all subjects just reading, writing and math. Well what about the other subjects are they not important to. I can say that I was better at other subjects than English and that was the main part of the test. As I read this article I found it interesting that this test was originally started for admissions to Ivy League schools, and was used to help some middle class hard workers to get into these colleges, but it still discriminated to many people for their social class, and race. I am not so sure that the SAT is a really good assessment of a person's intellect. Which now a days almost everything is assessed by state tests, and that just puts more stress on students to work harder and do better. For the ones that learn in different methods than sitting down and memorizing for the test it just isn't fair. I think the SAT just adds even more stress onto an already full work load.

Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:30 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I don't really know how I feel about the SAT. I did pretty well on it but I never considered it to be any real indication of how smart I was or wasn't. I guess I'm not sure what else could be used instead of the SAT- I think that some kind of test is needed to be able to compare kids all over the US, from different social and educational backgrounds. I agree that it does only test verbal and math skills, which doesn't seem entirely fair at all. My senior year two kids in my class got perfect scores on the SAT and I remember thinking: is that supposed to mean that they know everything? Definitely not, but it did mean that they could basically get into any college they wanted. I think changes should be made to this test-but I'm just not sure what.

Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:13 am
All-star
All-star

i agree with you leah in the sense that i can understand the importance in having some indicator that compares all students across the country...but at the same time, i believe that colleges hold this simple number way to high. perhaps there are things that they can do to help make the SAT a better indicator, but i think simply placing other factors ahead of this number when looking at college applications is a good place to start!

Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:22 pm
All-star
All-star

i dont think that the SAT is a good test at all!! i know that for me i am a good test taker. I can reason my way through things and usually get the right answer. But i know that for some people it is very hard for them to take test, they get really nervous and stress out very bad. that is how my roommate is and the fact that the SAT is such a big part of getting into college, it made it harder for her to get accecpted!! She mad straight A's in High school but the fact that her SAT score was so low it made it really hard to get in. I dont think that that is fair at all!!

Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:46 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Kelly, I do not think the SAT is a good indicator or a person's intelligence. I have a little bias becasue I was never satisfyed with my scores. People are so different, I just don't know how anyone expects there to be one test that represents everyones knowledge. I know if there had been history on the SAT I would have done a lot better. I am sure others are good at different subjects other that what is on the test as well. My scores made me feel like I wasn't good enough to go to college and it was really depressing. It was only after my first semester here that I felt like I was "smart" enough to be in college although I had always done great in highschool.

Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:01 pm
All-star
All-star

I understand kelly what you are saying, because I saw that with my friends and family as well. I just don't think that it really shows that a student knows what they are talking about because some people can reason out Standardized test well and others cannot but that doesn't mean they are any less smart.

Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:00 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

SAT=YUCK!!! :x i took the SAT 4 times in high school and still did not get a score i was satisfied with! So much of that stuff on the test is irrelevent to life and college! Many people i've talked to (myself included) said that they got so bored with the test that they couldn't even pay attention to what they were doing!

Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:51 pm
All-star
All-star

As education students we are taught to assess students in many different ways (not just by tests) so why do colleges base so much on test scores. I know these scores can be useful for some students but not for all. Like several of you discussed, some people just do not test well. Should this keep them out of the college they would like to attend? Like many of you, I was never satified with my SAT scores but did very well in college in the mid eighties and now. I do not feel this score should be the only for the major determining factor of college acceptance. The total person need to be looked at.

Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]