View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The Grace of Great things 
All-star
All-star

Here is a quote from Palmer that says what I have thought about the school system in the US since I have started college.

"We should be saddened by the fact that this country, which has the most widespread public education system in the world, has so many people who walk around feeling stupid.

I have seen so many people who went through our school system feel like they will never make it. I have thought about this a lot I cannot understand how this happens. Is it the pressure that we put on students for testing, is it money, or is it lack of work from the student or the teacher? I really don't know but when I think about these things it is really discouraging. Does anyone else feel the same.

Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:42 pm
All-star
All-star

that is such a powerful quote, one that definitely moved me too. the way that palmer could put such a complex idea into a simple sentence is really impressive.
i also feel that this is such a discouraging fact. the idea that so many kids feel like they are bad students, that they are stupid, or that they don't belong in school...that is just horrible to me. just as palmer noted, people are born with a natural curiosity and love for learning. the educational system doesn't even have to teach that! all it has to do is try not to destroy it...
even from personal family experience i have seen the affects of school on a person. my brother tested gifted and is extremely smart but throughout school, he did poorly. whether he was not challenged or just didn't feel interested in the subject matter, i will continue to wonder how such an amazing intellect could slip through the cracks. things like this happen all the time and i hope that through my own experience and the things that i have learned that i help my students to always realize their worth.

Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:59 pm
All-star
All-star

I definitely agree with you Sarah, it is very sad to see people who feel this way. One thing I think that affects their attitudes goes back to the issue of "tracking", especially now in the high schools. I don't think it is right to put students in a "college level" track or one that prepares them to go into the working world. That idea sets students in a state of "I can't go any further, so why should I push myself?". I think we should give every student a chance to reach their furthest potential and we would definitely be surprised by some of the outcomes. :)

Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't really think that a single thing can be blamed for this rash of unpreparedness, but a combination of all the situations you named and some others as well. It is our job as future teachers to target as many of these reasons as possible and improve them for each and every student.

Tue May 04, 2004 4:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]