View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Suicidal student 
All-star
All-star

Im doing my practicum right now in the school and one of my students has been dealing with a severe case of depression since her father was murdered this past summer. I think that the thing that works best with her is to let her know that someone really cares and is there for her to talk to. I know that there were some concerns with suicide since her father was so close to her and that it was conpletely unexpected for him to be killed. She has missed a lot of class but i think it is important to let her know that i am there for her as a teacher and as someone she can talk about her emotions with when she doesnt feel comfortable talking to the counselor. She told me once that the counselor tried to tell her what to do instead of just listening to her, and i guess in that case its ok for me to just listen to her feelings. Also one of my best friends in high school tried to kill herself multiple times. She had a lot of emotional problems throughout school and said that the physical pain made the emotional pain easier to handle. And after awhile she just gave up on living all together. In both cases the girls are from upper class families. The way you deal with these issues as a teacher however will vary from case to case, but i think you shouldnt bring attention to a student who is returning to class after attempting suicide, but i do think you should address the death of a student, no matter what the cause of death, to help their peers cope and have some closure.

Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:13 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]