View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 More thoughts about suicide 
All-star
All-star

I know we talked a lot tonight about suicide, but I am still at loss for words about what I would do. I feel like that no matter what I did to address the issue there could possibly be a negative affect. Everyone reacts in a different way and I feel like there is no way to know what would best benefit the student. I also feel like I don not have enough psychology in my backgound to make a decison about what would be the best way to deal with a student that tryed to commit suicide. I don't want to ignore the situation because I would feel like I was running away from the issue and that is not the way that I want to deal with it. I want to be a positive role model and a great teacher, but I hope that I never have to deal with something like this. I am just very afraid of what would happen. Do any of you feel like this? What are your opinons on what I could do to possibly prepare myself for this situation, because unfortunatly we are all probably going to have to deal with a situation like this. :?:

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:23 pm
All-star
All-star

i think that if it was possible, talking to the parents would be helpful. even talking to the student itself might help, depending on how open to talking that they are. i think that the most important thing that you can do is make sure that student knows that you care about them, knows that they would be greatly missed if they left this world. i think that the school guidance counselor would be a very good resource here too, i'm sure they would have information that could help. if all else fails, look on the internet! i have never searched for information about that, but i'm sure that there are websites out there on how to deal with a child who committed suicide.

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:26 am
All-star
All-star

I think a collaborative work setting could be so beneficial to help with these serious issues. I have seen where teachers in schools get together and hash things over in a group. I believe it is important to know where we stand individually about these issues, and I also believe that checking in with others can be enormously helpful. In one school I read about, new teachers had their own group, and sometimes there was a mentor teacher, someone more experienced to help brainstorm ideas and guide the new ones. In the school where I did an internship recently, I noticed there was a group of teachers that got together every morning and prayed together everyday. Isn't that interesting? We don't have to face these things alone.

Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]