View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 What Would You Do? 
All-star
All-star

We talked last night about whether or not you would talk to your class when a student returns who has recently committed suicide, or if you would say anything to the student when they returned. I thought it was great what Gayle did for her third period class when the young lady died, and I would want to do something similar in my classroom. I think it would be best to let the students talk beforehand and voice their opinions/thoughts/fears. If not, that leaves open the chance that they will bombard that student when they return, which can make the situation worse. It also gives you a chance to talk to the students who may have a negative opinion towards the other student. I was just curious what everyone else thought that they would do.

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:46 am
All-star
All-star

In high school one of my best friends got killed in a car accident! it was an awful thing to go through, but what helped me was this one teacher. She would write me these little notes and let me know that she was there for me. I didnt want to talk to her about it at first because i knew that it would be so hard for me. She knew that and she kept telling me that when i was ready that she would be there for me, i finnally went to her and just broke down! at the time it was so hard for me but now i look back and realize that that teacher helped me so much! I just needed someone to listen to me and she was there for me.

I think that sometimes it is better to talk one on one instead of big groups. In high school "image" is such a huge thing and it is really hard for some people to open up in fear of what other people may say. I was never like that, but for some people i think that the one on one contact would be a better tactic then a big "group discussion"!!

what do yall think?

Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In my opinion it would be best to talk one on one with a student who has made the attempt before their return to the class for any big group discussions. They may want to avoid too much attention as it is, and such a large group focused on their business might make them feel really uncomfortable. Whatever they feel is best would be my course of action.

Tue May 04, 2004 5:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]