View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Discouragement 
All-star
All-star

I was listening to everybody tell stories last night about how people have discouraged them from teaching, and it made me think of my advisor. When I first met him he asked why I wanted to teach biology and gave me a look like I was completely stupid! He then mentioned that I should take Instructional Assistance as soon as I could so that I would know what I was getting myself into because there was the large chance that I would want to change majors. I'm glad people see past most of the discouragement that they hear from others about teaching. Teachers that encourage students not to teach also worry me. If they hate it so bad, then they can't be great teachers at all. Thanks Gayle for encouraging the profession so much. I'm a lot more excited about it now. :D

Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:02 am
All-star
All-star

i know what you mean! its not just professors that look down on teaching its everyone. I am a math major and everytime i mention the fact that i want to teach high school math people are always like OMG what are you thinking, are you sure that that is what you want to do for the rest of your life, yuck!!! it is really discouraging. But for me and im sure that it is this way for a lot of people, i really couldnt see myself doing anything but teaching!!! its what i live for!! it makes me so happy to be able to help someone and help them understand something that they, at one point, didnt understand.

does anyone else fell this way??

Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Whenever I go home and visit past teachers with whom I am still close they always remind me that there is always time to bail out. I always take this as a joke but I can't help but feel that they are partially serious. But that doesn't change the fact that I know this is what I want to do and I will do what I have to in order to accomplish it.

Tue May 04, 2004 5:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]