View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Social Class/Iraq casualities 
All-star
All-star

I saw on CNN this morning that most of the casualites in the Iraq war were from our poorer social classes in the U.S. I wonder if many young men and women from lower class families signed up to serve in the military in order to recieve military benefits such as education, etc. to advance their future..that is..to help them rise out of their class... I never quite realized the unending effects of class on our lives.

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:11 pm
All-star
All-star

"I never quite realized the unending effects of class on our lives." I thought this was an insightful thought. I wish I had seen this broadcast because I am interested in the Marxist was of looking at things. It is really sad, but I think a lot of the young men and women fighting in Iraq probably joined the military because of school or money like you said. It was just the other day that my history teacher said that it "is a rich man's war, but a poor man's fight." Unfortunatly this will probably never change. :(

Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:31 pm
All-star
All-star

My friend Danielle is fighting over there & she is only there for the money. We grew up together & I havent actually seen her in quite some time, but I often wonder if she is still alive or if she will return. I can only imagine what the families of these people must think. I mean, to me the idea of fighting in a war is SO far away from anything I would ever do & to know that these are just your average Joe & Jane people.. It's so sad! I mean these people are just like US! JUST LIKE US! Any insight as to why someone would risk fighting in a war just for money? Is it really worth it?

Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:10 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

That is a really good question, and I'm not sure what i think about it. It takes a strong person to fight in a war. Someone who is dedicated to his/her country. And I cannot imagine what these people are feeling right now who are just over there for the money. I'm sorry, but i don't think that money is something that could get me through fighting a war?

Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As a bit of a cynic I jump to the conclusion that it is because the wealthier classes are more hesitent to offer up their lives because of their material possessions, but it is a good point that there are many benefits to be gained from joining the army that people in lower classes would not have access to.

Tue May 04, 2004 7:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]