View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Eating Disorders 
All-star
All-star

I know that there is a lot of focus on overweight children right now. I was wondering about the different eating disorders that are out there. I worry about some of the 4th grade girls that I have worked with. These girls are very concerned about their weight and I really don't think they are eating right. Is this an issue that the teacher should get involved in? At what point would a teacher get involved and what would he/she do first?

Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think this is definitely an issue that teachers should be concerned about. It has become a growing problem with very young girls, and even boys. I first think as teachers we need to do health lessons and talk about the different kinds of eating disorders. Educate the students on how harmful it is to the body.
If you have a concern about a student, maybe you could talk with a nurse or health professional in your school and see what they think and they might be able to give you ideas. I also do not think there is anything wrong with approaching the parents. This might be hard, but it may open their eyes to something they never noticed.

Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:29 pm
All-star
All-star

I also think that excersize is a HUGE concern with children out there. It is very rare that I see children running around and playing outside anymore. They are all sitting inside watching TV or sitting in front of a video game. This is very disturbing to me, bc playing and physical activity is what builds strong bones and helps children to grow. These children need to get back into the "child" mode, and get back to playing outside!!!

Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:44 pm
All-star
All-star

I also think that excersize is a HUGE concern with children out there. It is very rare that I see children running around and playing outside anymore. They are all sitting inside watching TV or sitting in front of a video game. This is very disturbing to me, bc playing and physical activity is what builds strong bones and helps children to grow. These children need to get back into the "child" mode, and get back to playing outside!!!

All-star
All-star

All-star
All-star

I'm sorry....i didn't mean to hit that three times...i didn't think that it posted it!!! :?

Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:45 pm
All-star
All-star

yeah right betsy! You were just trying to get more posts you cheater!! :wink:

Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]