View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 A discouraging experience 
All-star
All-star

The other day I was completing a group project with one of my classmates. We got into the conversation of why that we wanted to teach. He then revealed to me that he did not want to teach because "he felt that his GPA and SAT scores were too high to waste on a teaching career." I just stared at him in disbelief. I was thinking to myself "Does he think that everyone going into teaching is inferior to him?"
Have any of you met people like this???

Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:28 pm
All-star
All-star

Sarah... all I can say is "consider the source, and then rise above it"! There are TONS of people who stereotype teachers, who think teachers are stupid, lazy, boring people ( which is partially why we are underpaid & disrespected in the classroom ). There will always be someone who thinks they are better than you (in whatever aspect) but you can't let these MORONS get to you! They are obviously ignorant as to what we do, not to mention they must not have the HEART for teaching that you & I have been blessed with. Just be proud that YOU are capable of reaching heights this person has never even dreamed of! Teaching is a job suited to very special, talented people & although it may not pay as much as other jobs- it is up to US, as new professionals to keep our backbones & set the record straight! Don't let his perception of teaching continue to be negative- TELL HIM WHAT"S UP! I mean if WE don't stick up for us, who will? (I'm so sorry you encountered such an idiot... regardless of his "scores")

Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:15 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]