View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Bitter Lessons again 
All-star
All-star

I was not logged in when I posted, so I am reposting......here goes

The entire time I was reading Gatto's work I was nodding my head agreeing with most of his statements. I very much enjoyed this article because it expressed so well what I feel is wrong with public schools (and certainly Gatto put it in better words than I could ever dream of doing). I am currently a school teacher, but not because I went to school to be a teacher, but because I was sick of making a living off of tourists (waiting tables). I earned a masters in biology and saw an add for a science teacher in my county. I figured I could at least get the interview experience, work in a field where I could share my love for science, and possibly feel like I was making a contribution to society. I was hired. Before Bush's laws. I guess I was one of the "lucky" ones..maybe not. Let me preface my following commets with the fact that I enjoy teaching for the most part, I enjoy my colleagues, and I have learned A LOT!!

On a weekly basis we hold team meetings at my school. These meetings consist mainly of complaining of how "our hands are tied on this issue" and "we have no control over this" and "what can WE do about this, we are just the teachers...it has to go to the higher-ups" and "legally we cannot...". Gatto's sixth paragraph describing how teachers are forced to pretty much, not teach sums it up. Rather than teach, we must conform to what is law, what the county deams important etc. I found the analogy of teachers to surgeons right on the money too...how funny. I also teach to benefit myself. I try to learn as much as I try to help the students learn and this, by no means, is lecture style. We run experiments, go on hikes, dance around the room acting out the role of a blood cell and debate current issues. I guess I am one of the fortunate ones (for now) as science is not a tested subject..yet. We are free to question, hypothesize, test and argue points. But I fear 2005 when science will be tested and students will be "forced" to do who knows what to score high points. I dont forsee myself teaching in 2005 as I have "other career options." So many teachers I work with do not and so often complain of being "stuck" in this career. They have do deal with the stress of "is there enough time to cover everything that will be on the test." I do what I can to help them, and it is very upsetting.

Yes, I am a teacher, and yes, some of Gatto's comments could be considered offensive, but they were not. He hit the nail on the head with this one.
As for Gatto's reason for teachers being held in low regard, totally true in my opinion. I would add another point that has been expressed to me several times by others and that is "all you really do is baby-sit, right?"

Well, to sum it up. I really enjoyed this article and look forward to the other readings for this class.

Hope this wasn't too much of a soap box.

Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:48 am
All-star
All-star

This article consist of so many true statements. I also agree with Corrie on the fact of turnover in the schools. So much stress and pressure are put on Teachers daily that we can't teach the way the we feel and know that our classroom needs to be. I'm a Teacher's Assistant right now and I wish people in other careers would just come spend sometime in the classroom so they could just see what goes on during the day. Teachers definetly do not get the respect that we deserve. We are losing caring and qualified Teachers every year because of all the pressure and regulations that are out there. As for the "Babysitting comment". You know, somedays I do feel like a Babysitter, but then there are those days that I can tell a difference has been made. I want to make a difference in a child's life. As a Teacher, I also want to learn from my students. I'm looking forward to receiving my Teacher Certification. I've worked hard to get this far and I'm not going to let the pressures of the system destroy my career choice & my oppportunity to help children learn.

Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]