View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 ? for everyone re: Human Lives Behind the Labels... 

Would you pay more and go out of your way to spend ethically?
Poll ended at Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:21 pm
1) Pay more? Y or N 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
2) Go out of my way? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
3) Other or both 1 & 2 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 4

? for everyone re: Human Lives Behind the Labels... 
All-star
All-star

How willing are we to investigate our consumer practices to end sweatshops and child labor?

I like to think of myself as willing to do alot to make sure I am not supporting an impoverished existence for countless families accepting slave labor-type jobs to survive. I joined Co-Op America. There is another non-profit organization in NYC (whose name escapes me at the moment) that dedicates everything to whistle-blowing and advertising the companies that practice unethical business in a monthly newsletter. If it matters to anyone, I could probably dig up the name. When I encountered that organization I vowed to pay attention. I paid attention for a few months. I am such a meager consumer by American standards that I rationalize that my pennies are pretty much pennies... But they do count if a company can make something that I need to buy.

I get the newsletters but the reality of my own situation is that when I need something, I usually look for the most convenient, least expensive for the best quality (w/in my price range) item. However, because I'm a mom and because I genuinely believe in improving this world both for myself and for my son - I'd like to make more conscientious choices.

Do any of you alter your spending for ethical reasons? How? Would you, if you don't now?

Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:21 pm
All-star
All-star

Honestly, I haven't ever thought about spending my money for ethical reasons. But, I do think that after reading the article about the sweatshops, I probably will pay more attention to where things are made. It really upsets me that these huge corporations are doing this just so they can save and make more money. Everyone wants to make money, but I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I was making it unethically. I guess people in the business world like that are taught to not have morals toward people that are less privelaged as they might be.

Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:15 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm not sure if my vote went through correctly, so I'll just reply instead. Currently, I do not alter my spending for ethical reasons but I am definitely willing to do so. I just don't really know how. I guess I've always been your typical selfish consumer-buying whatever I need/want at the lowest price possible. In the back of my mind I've always known that A LOT of items are made in poor countries but I never gave much thought to it.

I would also like to make more conscientious choices, but how?? How do you know what products are connected to unethical business practices? This is such a bigger issue than just Nike tennis shoes. What if most or all consumer products are, in some way, connected to some type of unethical business practices??

Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:21 pm
All-star
All-star

I would like to think, I would alter my spending to promote a good cause, but in all reality...How could I ,on my small grocery budget , alter for others, and let my three children go hungry? I hate to say this but right now every penny counts in my household. I guess its a good thing I am uneducated in regards to ethical products.

Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:14 pm
All-star
All-star

FYI for anyone interested in ethical economics... I have to work this Saturday - but, since this topic came up... If ANYONE is still around this Saturday - or just checks this out and enjoys being informed.
Enjoyed getting to know everyone in this class!

Co-op America News April 2004
Celebrate Fair Trade!
Give Co-op America Gift Memberships for Mother's Day, Graduation, Father's Day and more

RESOURCES: Celebrate World Fair Trade Day on May 8th
ACTION: Tell ExxonMobil to invest in renewable energy by the May 1 deadline!
NEWS: Co-op America is Climate Cool Dear Co-op America Member,

Through the actions you take at home, and the actions we take together, we're growing demand for clean energy, building the market for Fair Trade, and setting the standard for what it means to be a green business in America. In this email, you'll find great people powered solutions to some of today's most pressing issues - from dependence on fossil fuel energy to globalization! I hope you'll pass this email on to friends and family and together, we'll continue to grow the movement for a green economy and a green future.

RESOURCES: Celebrate World Fair Trade Day on May 8th!

World Fair Trade Day is May 8th and it's a great opportunity to join with others in the global movement to promote Fair Trade. Here's a few ideas about how you can celebrate:

1) Host a Fair Trade Coffee Hour! Invite friends and co-workers for coffee, or host a special get together at your community center or house of worship. To find Fair Trade coffee roasters, visit Co-op America's Green Pages at www.greenpages.org . To find a place to buy Fair Trade Certified coffee, tea, chocolate, or fruit in your community, visit TransFair USA's web site at www.fairtradecertified.org

2) Ask your supermarket to carry Fair Trade Certified coffee and other certified products. Consumers have the power to change the marketplace to work for farmers, consumers and the environment. Fill out a comment card when you shop!

3) Attend a World Fair Trade Day event. The Fair Trade Resource Network has a listing of local events at www.fairtraderesource.org.

ACTION: Tell ExxonMobil to invest in renewable energy by the May 1st deadline.
Thanks to you, Co-op America members have generated over 10,000 letters from consumers and investors to send to the ExxonMobil annual meeting to demand that the company invest in renewable energy technologies that can help curb global warming. Our Shareholder Action Network Director will be speaking at the ExxonMobil annual shareholders' meeting in May and we want to make sure that ExxonMobil hears our demands loud and clear. We need your help! Help us spread the word and keep the letters and emails to ExxonMobil coming in. Send an email now to ExxonMobil, urging the company to invest in renewable energy. If you have already done so, thank you. Please ask a friend to send an email. Visit: www.coopamerica.org/takeaction/exxon

NEWS: Be Climate Cool like Co-op America
Through Native Energy's WindBuilders program, Co-op America has now offset its second year of the carbon dioxide pollution from powering and heating our business offices! You can make your home or office climate cool, help put more wind power online, create renewable energy jobs at the Rosebud Sioux Reservation, and support Co-op America's work for a green future. Sign up for the WindBuilders program at http://www.nativeenergy.com/WBcoop.html?coop.

Give a Co-op America gift membership for Mother's Day, graduations, Father's Day ... or any day!. Each membership includes a free copy of the National Green Pages™ and a one-year subscription to our green living newsletter Real Money. Give a gift membership at www.coopamerica.org/giftmembership or call 1-800-58-GREEN to give by phone.

Thank you for all you do for people and the planet. It's great to be working with you!

In cooperation,

Alisa Gravitz, Executive Director

P.S. Save the dates! Green Festivals — a project of Co-op America and Global Exchange — are coming to Washington, DC, September 18th and 19th and to San Francisco, CA on November 6th and 7th. Check out www.greenfestivals.com for more info.

You are subscribed to Co-op America's E-Newsletter. To unsubscribe, visit

http://lists.coopamerica.org/u?id=157058N&n=T&c=F
:wink:

Mon May 03, 2004 5:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]