View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Bitter Lessons - Provocative - intimidating words 
All-star
All-star

"Bitter Lessons..." tastes like bitter fruit to my gut. I fear the truth within John Gatto's words. My own journey to pursue teacher certification comes from a variety of life experiences, influences and an acceptance of myself in the world of uncertainty and cynicism. My belief is that the political environment will dramatically influence the climate of a classroom.

Politics matter! I just pray that our national political arena takes a very dramatic turn away from the status quo before I'm seeking a job within a system that will constrain and restrain creativity - ... I'm both cynical and idealistic. Hope springs eternal in my heart. But I lived in New York City for 8 years of my life and the magic and beauty of that place to me is the diversity, its ordered and not-so-ordered chaos, the fact that millions of citizens reside next to and basically on top of one another. And it wasn't one of the most dangerous cities in the world. It isn't now - but, September 11th has defined its incredible vulnerability. It's symbolic of our vulnerability as a Democracy - that struggles to define itself.

September 11th brought out a militancy that must have been stewing and plotting for years, and that force IS in the world. That same hatred of our country's liberty is defined not just through terrorists - but, in our fear - should we feel it a necessity to create and be totally ruled by a Big Brother form of government. Gatto talks about whole beings in the classroom. My life is fragmented in countless ways right now. The one - two certaintys that I possess is knowing that motherhood suits me to a tee and that teaching is a field that I yearn to pursue. My desire to teach is not so that I can follow the regimented dots to make sure that all the state's and Big Brother eyes are smiling as my students dutifully cross all their "t"s and dot every "i" just so -- it is so that I can feed curiosity, nourish a love for learning, help each student discover that very special part of oneself - that makes one glow.

I'm very idealistic - and life has shown me a zillion reasons to be cynical. In fact, I fear if the current Administration - or one very much like it resides in the White House when I'm looking for a teaching job - unless I can find a school like my alma mater (Warren Wilson College) for younger people -- I may seek a different path. I'm very concerned by the words in Mr. Gatto's article, by the Patriot Act, by the lack of interest in politics by many of my friends and associates. I'm concerned about the world my son will inherit even if I work like a maniac to provide him with a wellspring of resources, doorways I hope will welcome him, tools to navigate through to create a stable, happy existence.

I dream about healthcare for all U.S. citizens, education that isn't just for some, wealth that feeds a middle class and enables the impoverished of us to hope for more. I dream for and hope to be and work among teachers who don't just resign themselves to conformity, administrators with integrity and creativity. A nation that values individuality, invites creativity, feeds our own hearts and minds by owning courage and daring to experiment...
Yeesh.

Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]