View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 "The Daily Grind" 
All-star
All-star

After reading this article, I noticed that I am trapped in by "daily routine". My days merge together- I do the same types of activities every single day. Now I know why- I have been conditioned to be this way by the American school system.

Philip Jackson goes so far as to compare schools with mental institutions and prison.

Think of all of the hours and hours we've spent in classrooms. How much of that time was wasted?- Waiting for the teacher to answer your question, waiting for lunch, standing in lines, and being forced to sit in silence.

Young children, by law, must go to school. The subjects taught are specific and required. Really- how much freedom do we have in our own education??
Is it possible to teach students to love learning when they are being taught in an environment that requires conforming to institutional expectations?

Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:49 pm
All-star
All-star

I also realized how trapped in my daily activities I was. You know that your in school from lets say 8-2 in elementary, and then you go home. While your act school you get used to the routine, you know whats going to happen. When lunch is, when your going to learn math, reading, writing. Whatever that subject may be. It's all plotted out for you. I never realized how much time you spent at school instead of with your parents. It's scary to know that the teacher knows you better than your parents might.
After I started to think about it we wasted so much time waiting on the teacher to answer a question, to go eat lunch, and waiting on this that or the other. It gets tiresome waiting all the time, especially when your in a room with thirty other people and cant really move any where to have five seconds to yourself with someone bothering you.
I would say that with the school system if its not by the book, you better be mighty careful not to get in trouble. Because the only true friend i think we have in the school would be to breath, and if that goes wrong who knows what would happen to us.

Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:37 pm
All-star
All-star

I too was conditioned by the daily routine of school days past, but as an older student let me assure you that you will break free. I first had this breaking away experience when I started working. After 11 years in a bank, I can honestly say there was no daily routine. You never knew what each day would bring. Also as a mother of 3, I have to keep a planner in my purse or I would lose track of which kid needs to be at what game, practice, meeting, or rehearsal. You may think I'm crazy, but I look forward to a daily routine; however, I am determined as a teacher to be flexiable with my routine so my students will not feel worn down just as both of you have exspressed.

Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:55 pm
All-star
All-star

It was funny when I first begn to read the article, because I started to remember past experiences that related to Jackson's article. After I would get off the bus from school at my great aunt's house .... we would do the usual - cookies and milk thing and she would ask me how my day was and what I did at school. I usually told her the brief encounters that happened to me or things that just stood out to me -- similar to the article. Also, I found it very interesting that students do not even realize how much time is wasted during school. I never really thought about it until after I read the article, but what could we do as teachers to decrease the time spent waiting for the pencil sharpener etc., The school system budget will not afford giving the school additional resources that could minimize time spent -- not learning!! Any suggestions?!?!?!

Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:34 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]