View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Religion and conformity 
All-star
All-star

Do you feel that religion is about conformity? based on the mccarthy article, apparently it does. I however disagree. this article deeply disturbed me seeing as I am a Christian and do not view my religion as a mindless activity. I am actively engaged in what is going on and what is being taught. I am now going through "what baptists believe' so that I can make sure i believe what i say i am. I have grown up southern baptist and never really knew what it meant. But so far...I am proud to say that I am. It isn't just a mindless game...its something you want to do. Its totally your choice.

Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:40 pm
All-star
All-star

I too am a Christian and very proud of it. I was also disturbed by the article. To me, religion and conformity CAN NOT be intertwined. Being a Christian has not made me conform in any way. It is true my religion teaches love and peace, but to love or to seek peace is not to conform. Most of the material we have read so far this semester has referenced being "caring in a democratic society". Maybe I'm crazy, but in my book caring reflects love and a democratic society reflects peace. I will keep the church and state seperate in my classroom, but in "my heart/and my being" Christianity will always be a huge part of my educational career, because my faith corresponds with a caring democratic society.

Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]