View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 McCarthy Article: Teaching to not conform 
All-star
All-star

Do you guys think that the Nazis could have been prevented with more education?
we are taught to teach our children to accept others but are we going to teach them to not discriminate? How do we do this? How can we teach children to treat each other equal when we have celebrations such as "Black History Month" and we get out of school for Martin Luther Kings Birthday but we don't get out for Presidents day? I have serious problems with this issue. I do not think that we shoudl stop these activities, however, i do feel that we need to have some sort of equality as far as national celebrations. It bothers me that my students in elementary school will know more about Marth luther king than say President Kennedy, Abraham Lincoln or heroes from other cultures.

Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:45 pm

There are many other holidays that celebrate famous people in American history. 5th Grade social studies is dedicated to American history, and part of the curriculum is recognizing presidents, the Revolutionary War, etc. So, I am not sure that children will know more about MLK than they will know about Presidents and other important historical figures. I think that "Black History Month" would be a better example of inequality in education and recognition. I would venture to say that MLK Jr Day and Black History month result from the fact that African Americans were never fully compensated for their years of chattel bondage in the form of African American slavery. Many feel that blacks were stripped of their culture, labor, heritage, and rights as human beings. I honestly believe that these holidays were set in place as a poor attempt to appease African Americans for their contributions to this country. I am not saying that I believe we should grant monetary reparations, and I dont fully support affirmative action, but blacks should have been compensated after the Civil War, but because the Reconstruction was such a huge failure, they werent.
I dont know that education could have neccessarily prevented the Holocaust. The Holocaust was the result of severe economic desperation, and Hitler came along and promised change, wealth, power, and prestige. People listened to him and followed him because they could not see past their present condition of poverty and desperation. They set aside their own maral values of right and wrong when these values were challenged by authority and the promse of change.

Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:36 am
All-star
All-star

No, I don’t think that the Nazi Regime would have been stopped by education. Although I do not agree with the extreme measures that caused the holocaust, Hitler did bring economic success to the German people. He gave the people pride in themselves and their country, by raising money for schools and I would love to say that if the public were better educated, then they would never have let the genocide happen. But I can not in sound judgment believe it. Can you honestly tell me that any of our politicians would give a second thought to getting rid of certain (if not all) environmentalists, and civil rights lawyers if they could get away with it? Our society in no better than the Germans of the 1930’s. Americans have done everything from burn books and socially alienate a race to placing people in concentration camps and mass race genocide. And our society is supposed to be educated. Education didn’t do anything to stop us. Why would it stop other nations?

Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:59 am
All-star
All-star

There is no way that Hitler and the Nazis could have been stopped by education. In fact, the Nazis controlled the educational system. Therefore, they implemented their ideologies in the education.
As for the holidays... I agree with you. I certainly think we should honor MLK, but we should also consider the others too.

Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:45 pm
All-star
All-star

At first , I thought there is no way education would have haulted Hitler. But at second thought, Why are we striving for a democratic education if it isn't to stop the future "Hitlers" in the generations to come? Just a thought.

Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:23 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't see any way that education would have saved anyone dealing with the Nazi's. Conformity is definitely a crucial thing when it is dealing with negative activites, but remember, it can also help to encourage positive activities. As for the holidays, they all have to be respected. MLK, Christmas, Hannakuh, etc b/c we live in the great UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:32 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]