View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 the mismeasure of education 
All-star
All-star

In the article Public School Reform: The Mismeasure of Education by Svi. Shapiro. On page 30, it says "How we perform on these standardized tests is, we are to believe, a matter of individual ability and intelligence, and the level of effort particular students can bring to bear on the task." That is a little insulting to me because I always try my hardest and give it my best effort to do everything that I do. I might not always end up with the A that i was hoping for and get a B instead. That doesnt mean i dont give it my best shot. The above statement just makes me feel like if I dont get that perfect score ever single time then i am not good enough to go on in life. I think that as long as i am happy with what i am doing and trying to do my best then thats all anyone can ask for.

Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:47 pm
All-star
All-star

I totally agree with your statement. I also work very hard, and strive for A's. Looking back, I now see why I strive for A's. As a child I was repeatedly told to be a good girl and make A's in school. When I made my first B here at App. I cried. I felt like such a failure. Since then and two B's later, I have realized that B's are Ok. If I have done my persoanl best, then that is all that matters!!! There is so much more to a person than a score on paper.

Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:51 pm
All-star
All-star

maybe our job is to teach students that a B is ok. You don't have to be perfect. I feel like i have been brain washed to think that if i get a B, that i'm not good enough.Maybe we shouldnt see what grades they can get but how much they know!

Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:41 pm
All-star
All-star

I am satisfied with a B and learning the information. If I make an A, great, but if I don't, I am not going to cry over spilled milk. When I was younger, my parents would give me extra allowance, money, some candy or whatever if I made A's on my report cards. Why were my B's not good enough. I have always had to work hard for my A's, but if I learn the information I need to and make B's, then I am happy that I put forth my effort and did the best I could. Students of all ages should feel the same way.

Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:28 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that grades A, B, C... are not a measure of ability or what you have learned.
Many teachers prefer portfolio assessment as a true summative assessment technique. For example, if a student is a terrible writer at the beginning of the year and at the end of year they still are not a great writer but have shown significant improvement, the evaluator is able to see the improvement, which then enables the evaluator to grade the student’s progress as well as the student’s ability. Portfolio assessment also shows the teacher’s impact on student learning. If the portfolio does not show any development at all, the teacher should share the blame for the student’s inability to master the required material. Portfolio assessment allows evaluators to see a student’s growth over time. A standardized test, which puts every student on the same level of ability, is not a valid method for assessing a student’s growth and learning development.

Although standardized testing is not a welcome event in a classroom, it can still be used as a useful assessment tool. Standardized tests allow the state to see which schools have an unusual amount of students falling below grade level. The state should then investigate the school, locate the problems, and then use appropriate methods to get the school back on track. A school that is doing well should be recognized, however, funds for improvements should go to the schools that need the help.

Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]